Error handling service request: Cannot obtain a free instance.; nested exception is:

09-21-2012 12:07 AM
JulieBiju
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

ArcGIS 10.1 server was working fine till yesterday.But suddenly I am getting error when i am trying to access our link
(http://localhost:8001/arcgis/rest/services/............../MapServer).See the error below.Pls help me to solve this issue...

Error: Error handling service request: Cannot obtain a free instance.; nested exception is: com.esri.arcgis.discovery.ejb.ArcGISServerEJBException: com.esri.arcgis.discovery.servicelib.AGSException: AutomationException: 0x80070005 -
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
DavidMarley
Occasional Contributor II
Hi,

Did you ever resolve this problem?  I am having the exact same issue - AGS 10.1 SP1 instance was working fine, and now all services are producing this same error that you are getting.

Thanks,

Dave
0 Kudos
DavidMarley
Occasional Contributor II
Ah never mind - I resolved my issue.  Problem was actually with an ArcSDE server.  I was using application server connections to connect to a 10.0 SDE instance, and the SDE service had stopped on that machine.  Restarted the service and all is good.

Dave
0 Kudos
FranciscoAcosta_Bazán
New Contributor III
Hi, I'm getting the same error, but my words are direct connections without the use of the service sde Please any ideas??
0 Kudos
karenvolarich
New Contributor III
I'm seeing the same issue.  Direct connection, but across 8 load balanced servers.  Any explanation for this error?
0 Kudos
JustinPeters
New Contributor
I would also like to see any additional suggestions on this error as it is occurring frequently lately. 

Unable to process request. Error handling service request : Cannot obtain a free instance.; nested exception is: com.esri.arcgis.discovery.ejb.ArcGISServerEJBException: java.lang.Exception: Could not initialize service 'Hydrology/Karst_Dye_Points.MapServer'.
0 Kudos
mehertouhami1
New Contributor
Hi
I'm getting the same error. with direct connection
0 Kudos
mehertouhami1
New Contributor
did anyone use a soe with the arcgis service?
0 Kudos
DanMcCoy
Occasional Contributor III

We're also getting the  "could not initialize service" error using Direct Connects.  We have an SOE, but it's not running on all of the services that throw the error, and the SOE debugging/logging is disabled.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
TedLucas1
New Contributor
I am also running into this issue sporadically.
0 Kudos