ArcGIS Explorer Print Templates

05-24-2010 01:44 AM
MichaelHarrop
New Contributor II
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if it were possible to edit the print templates in ArcGIS explorer. We need to insert a copyright on ant maps printed to comply with the licensing of the data from the supplier.

ArcGIS explorer would be an excellent product for us, but until we can insert a copyright on any printouts we cant use it

Thanks

Michael
0 Kudos
13 Replies
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
If you dont mind the copyright showing up in the on-screen view as well, you could add an image overlay:
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1200/en/index.html#work_with_image_overlays.htm

Alternatively, you could develop an add-in that did the printing for you, and added whatever copyright you want to that? If you deploy explorer using an Application Configuration, then you can prevent users from using the built-in Print command, and so they would have to use your alternative Print instead. There's a very basic print view add-in example on the code gallery here that could be adapted:
http://resources.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1200/index.cfm?fa=codeGalleryDetails&scriptID=16518
0 Kudos
MikeRudden
New Contributor
Hi,
It is not possible to edit the print template directly other than adding a title to the map.  However, there are a couple of ways you could add the copyright information.

The recommended approach would be to specify the attribution property for individual layers.  Right click on a layer > properties > Attribution. The information appears in the status bar at the bottom of the map.  When you choose Print, this information is written to the output at the bottom of the map.

An alternative, would be to create an image file (jpg, png) and add it to your map as an image overlay. Add Content > image overlayers.  to specify placement right click on the mapitem > position.

Regards
Mike
0 Kudos
JudithCauldwell
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

I realise this thread is a couple of months old now but I didn't want to start a new one.

Is anyone else frustrated with the printing capabilities of ArcGIS Explorer? We've been using Map Explorer (that ancient and long unsupported software) for our map viewers and because of software changes we've got to replace it. Now, I have in my time got frustrated with the printing capabilities in Map Explorer and the fact it relies on wmf files, which can be problematic to change, but in comparison to ArcGIS Explorer the possibilities were endless.

Is there any easy way (easy for the user and hopefully not too difficult for me to set up) of printing a map from ArcGIS Explorer that contains
a) a decent map - the ones I've so far managed are fuzzy and the text almost illegiable, not to mention lost in all the white space on the page.
b) a legend - because quite frankly I don't think most people are telepathic
c) Copyright text - The text that appears when you set it in the attributes, either layer or map, is again almost illegible and it isn't always practical to set an image overlay.
d) a customisable header and footer (it would be lovely if this was possible - even to setting a 'Printed by' name but I realise this is maybe a bit far fetched.)

The fact you can choose page size and orientation and set a title are very useful but not necessarily all that's needed.

Anyway sorry for the rant, any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you 🙂
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Other than the suggestions already made (titles, image overlays) there is no OOTB way to achieve what you're looking for. The best approach from here would be to consider creating a custom print "Add-In" like the one referenced below - available at http://resources.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1200/index.cfm?fa=codeGalleryDetails&scriptID=16518. This would certainly resolve the white space issue. Unfortunately there is no way to generate a legend for the contents of the map - although I'm going to give this some more thought - if i have any more information on this I'll post an update here.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
JudithCauldwell
Occasional Contributor
Mike,

Many thanks, I had a feeling that would be the case. Unfortunately I have absolutely no programming experience but I rather suspect I'm going to be obtaining some very shortly because the print functionality is one of the main sticking points with using ArcGIS Explorer.

🙂
0 Kudos
JudithCauldwell
Occasional Contributor
Mike,

I've been thinking about this problem and I think I may have found a solution but tell me if I'm being daft.

To print a map ArcGIS Explorer captures an image of the map window and puts it into the middle of a piece of theoretical paper. Or you can copy the 'map' to the clipboard and paste it elsewhere.

How easy would it be to write a script that could automatically paste that image into a word processing file template? This template could then be customised by the administrator with relative ease. I guess if relative file paths are stored the template(s) could be rolled out with the program. The add-in could show a list of avaliable templates stored in one of the program folders possibly.

Just an idea,

Judith 🙂
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Judith,

In principle that's exactly what you would do. There is a GetBitmap() method on the MapDisplay class (http://resources.esri.com/help/1200/arcgisexplorer/componenthelp/index.html#/_/0003000001t6000000/) which will perform the same task as the Copy To Clipboard button on the ribbon. This image could then be added to any document you like - which could include documents templates. Bear in mind that the exported map will include the attribution (copyright), scalebar, and navigator. The navigator could be considered a North Arrow though and the scale bar is generally desirable, although if required it can be switched off. It will not be possible to remove any attribution/copyright text.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
JudithCauldwell
Occasional Contributor
Hi Mike,

Glad I wasn't being completely mad. Now I just need to teach myself to program :confused: oh and work out a way of solving the legend issue, I think I might have an idea about that one but I don't know if it's possible to program a word processor to automatically import a bitmap dependant on a selection made (that way, if I restrict the addition of data to lyr files, I could have seperate image files of the legends - again held in a folder somewhere). Alternatively there must be a method/class/object (?) that allows ArcGIS to display the legend and that therefore theoretically could be pulled over in the same way as the map is - the issue being ArcGIS Explorer can only display the legend of one data source at a time. Just out of interest do you know anyway of translating .style files to .xml? Or are there any plans to allow ArcGIS Explorer to read .style files via the 'Manage my styles' dialog?

Anyway, sorry, I keep going off at a tangent. Thanks for all your help so far.

Judith 🙂
0 Kudos
MargoBlosser
New Contributor
Hello All,

I have been able to create a reasonable output solution for AE, with VB.net/AE. Although it has not been easy.  The approach was to use bitmaps for the map, logo, north arrow, contact info and disclaimer.  For the legend, I made a series of pre-defined legends in ArcGIS and output them as bitmaps.  At any rate it can be done, although I found working with bitmaps, tedious.  I used VB.Net drawimage method rather than the AE imageoverlys.  I did not see a way to use the AE imageoverlay that would give me enough precision in the placement of bitmaps.

It would be nice if AE had some basic legend capabilities, you really can�??t have a map without a legend 

Best Regards,

Margo Blosser
Gorge GIS
www.gorgegis.com
0 Kudos