What is the different : ArcGIS Server Staging and Deployment

09-23-2012 08:00 PM
MochammadGhufron
New Contributor
Dear All,
Can you help me to explain the difference between  ArcGIS Server Staging and Deployment from the technical side?
I've read ArcGIS for server brochure, but not mention about the difference.

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MochammadGhufron
New Contributor
Dear All,
Can you help me to explain the difference between  ArcGIS Server Staging and Deployment from the technical side?
I've read ArcGIS for server brochure, but not mention about the difference.

Thanks.

Hello,
Does anyone can answer my question?
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Wow, this thread is old, but since it was just commented on and given a bump, I'm adding my 2 cents.

Converting anibal martinez   to English using google translate

Hello, I am doing the same consultation to the local representative in Argentina, and I have 3 days without response. Although 6 years have passed if this week I get to answer I commented.

Reading what I think you're referring to, is staging as the test, testing or Pre-production environment

Best regards

Anibal

I confirm that is what you comment staging is the test environment

----

My response to the the original post and above.

Although it is important to talk to your customer service rep or local distributor for cost and actual details, since things may vary between organization type and country, this is a rough recap of what we we are thinking about doing (State Agency in the US...no ELA).

• For Deployment (i.e. Production) we have Advanced Enterprise (ArcGIS Server, Portal) on maintenance. We also have the Image Server on maintenance (no longer an extension).
  • Since we only had a few developers/publishers in the past, each of those users subscribed to the what was called the ESRI Developer Network (EDN) annual subscription.  That gave the developers all the tools they needed to develop and test publication or services, etc., but other staff we not allowed to use the software, it is not for production,  At that time, Image Server was an extension and was included in our level of the EDN.
  • The developer annual subscription has changed and there are multiple levels (cost and what you get). The level we plan to get (subject to change) will not include a developer version of Image Server (but we will still have Deployment/Production)
  • We have more developers now, and are expanding our organizations GIS to more Divisions.  We are now approaching the tipping point to look at a "staging" licenses versus developer licenses. 
  • However, with the developer subscriptions, a different number of users could get subscriptions (and are not necessarily the same time-frame, i.e. 12 months).  With the staging license, we  would have to have a sustainable budget for annual maintenance.

Because we have our Adv Ent license for production, it sounds like for our staging license can be a "Standard Level" instead of an Advanced level.  One of the main differences is we will get fewer Level 2 users for Portal, but since it is for staging/development and not deployment/production, for us that may work.  But from what I understand (need to confirm) the actual software and functionalities (minus the Image Server for us) is the same, but your can not use for production.  

All though not totally confirmed yet...what we lose going with a staging license vs the annual Developer Subscriptions (per person) is we will only be able to install on one machine (vs a Dev license can install and test on multiple...e.g. on their local machine), the Runtime development, and possibly the AGS Studio Development platform. 

What we gain is not having to limit/control (licensing wise) the developers that have access to the staging machine.  

I was planning on writing this up to share and discuss with our staff so I decided to share it here as as I get confirmation on some of the items (I'm going to have my rep see if I summarized our discussion correctly).  I Hope this helps.  Again, 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Esri offers a staging license that can be used for either a development or a staging server. Each environment needs its own license. You could for instance have two staging licenses (one for the development and one for the staging servers) and for instance an advanced license for the production environment. Ideally, the environments use separate infrastructure and are as similar as possible, although that will be difficult since different scaling will most likely be applied to each environment. 

See also: ArcGIS Server in development, staging, and production environments—ArcGIS Server Administration (Win... 

0 Kudos
AnibalMmartinez
Occasional Contributor

Si, @Xander_Bakker así tenemos Desarrollo, Testing y Produccion, con sus licencias de ArcGis Server, ahora instalamos "ArcGis Portal" estamos esperando la respuesta del representante local, para que nos de los códigos de licencias de cada uno de estos 3 ambientes de "ArcGis Portal" y nos hablo de staging y surgió la duda sobre este tema.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hola anibal martinez , me alegro que se haya aclarado las dudas. Espero que prontamente reciben los códigos de licencias para proceder con la instalación de los ambientes.  

0 Kudos
AnibalMmartinez
Occasional Contributor

Mil gracias Rebecca Strauch, GISP, justamente es mi situación, nosotros tenemos definidos ambientes 3 (como las normas ISO IRAM recomiendan) , DESARROLLO, TESTING y PRODUCCION,  por lo cual requerimos que todos los productos puedan licenciarse o instalarse compartiendo y apoyando tu vision sobre el tema "Because we have our Adv Ent license for production, it sounds like for our staging license can be a "Standard Level" instead of an Advanced level.  One of the main differences is we will get fewer Level 2 users for Portal, but since it is for staging/development and not deployment/production, for us that may work. ". Si funcionaria!!!, 

Gracias,

Anibal Martinez

0 Kudos
AnibalMmartinez
Occasional Contributor

Hola, estoy haciendo la misma consulta al representante local en Argentina, y llevo 3 días sin respuesta. Si bien han pasado 6 años si esta semana logro que me lo contesten te comento.

Leyendo lo que creo a que se refiere,  es a Staging como al ambiente de prueba , Testing o Pre- Producción

Saludos,

Anibal

0 Kudos
AnibalMmartinez
Occasional Contributor

Te confirmo que es lo que te comente Staging es el ambiente de prueba

0 Kudos