Cannot copy a geometric network from one geodatabase to another

10-18-2012 01:08 PM
StephanieSnider
Occasional Contributor III
I'm trying to copy a geometric network (National Hydrography Dataset) from a feature dataset in a file geodatabase to an ArcSDE feature dataset.  The projection on the two feature datasets are the same.  When I use the copy and paste commands on a feature class in the geometric network, it only copies that feature class - not the network.  When I use the copy and paste command on the network itslef, I get the error "Failed to paste HYDRO_NET", General function failure"....not very helpful.  I have also tried to export and import the feature class, but each time it only copies the feature class and not the network.

This ESRI doc says that if you use the copy tool on a feature class that is in a geometric network, the entire network including the feature class will be copied.  But when I try this, I get Error 000260: The "in_memory" workspace is not supported as the output location.  I tried also to copy the geometric network directly and got the same error message. 

The feature dataset that I'm trying to copy into is totally blank, so nothing should be interfering with the copy process.  I found this article that says the in_memory workspace does not support geometric networks and network datasets.  So what's up with that?  Either I can copy a geometric network or I can't?

Any suggestions about how I can copy an entire feature dataset from a file geodatabase into a feature dataset in ArcSDE???  Basically I need to keep the geometric network and its associated feature classes together.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Have you tried copying the entire Feature Dataset from the File Geodatabase to the sde Geodatabase?

You can Copy/Paste the Geometric Network. That shouldn't be a problem.

"The "in_memory" workspace is not supported as the output location."
Solution - Confirm that the output location is valid and does not contain any files that will interfere with a successful copy operation.

Regards,
Asrujit
0 Kudos
StephanieSnider
When I try to copy the entire feature dataset from the file geodatabase into the feature dataset in ArcSDE, I get the error: "Failed to paste.  The operation is not supported by this implementation."  When I try to copy the feature dataset into ArcSDE (outside the feature dataset), it copies everything but the geometric network and it copies everything to the root directory - not a feature dataset where I want it. 

Again, there is nothing in the feature dataset that I'm trying to copy into, so there's no files to interfere.  The feature dataset is a valid location because I can copy single feature classes to it.  I just can't get that geometric network to copy.

I will try rebooting my machine and see if that helps.
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
"The "in_memory" workspace is not supported as the output location." sometimes occur if the Geodatabase has similarly named feature classes, etc...

You can't copy the Feature Dataset from the FGDB into the Feature Dataset in the sde geodatabase, as that is not supported.

I tried the same workflow that you were following initially, and the copy/paste was successful. (Just copy the geometric n/w from the fgdb dataset into the sde dataset).
0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
Stephanie,

A couple of things:
- Can you confirm that you are trying to copy a geometric network and not a network dataset?
- What license level are you using?  Is it ArcView?
0 Kudos
StephanieSnider
I just received help from ESRI tech support, Melissa J.  The key is to paste the feature dataset onto the ArcSDE connection....not within the workspace (inside the directory for the SDE connection).  Right click on the SDE connection and select paste.  Check to make sure there are no red text entries which would indicate that there's a file with the same name that already exists.  Click OK.  It worked.  Yeah!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18627[/ATTACH]
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for posting! I could not understand why something I had done last week wasn't working this week! Turns out I was trying to paste into an existing feature dataset in Sql SDE and as this forum pointed out, you can't do that. You saved me my sanity!

Thanks,

A

0 Kudos