Does ArcGis Server 10.1 take advantage of multiple cores?

11-13-2012 11:57 AM
MichaelWestmoreland1
New Contributor II
I'm asking if the software can take advantage of multiple cores?

Yes, I've searched the web for an answer.  I have the link to the System Design page.
I've read these two sections.
http://wiki.gis.com/wiki/index.php/System_Design_Process
http://wiki.gis.com/wiki/index.php/Server_Software_Performance

I've read that over four cores performance degrades.
I've read that you only need a single core but a high frequency processor and as much ram as you can get.
There's a lot of conflicting information out there but not a simple yes it can take advantage of more than one core, or no it can't.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
JustinHunter
New Contributor III
Just to get the ball rolling here, I'll explain what I know and hopefully it is correct.

When purchasing an ArcGIS Server 10.1 license you also purchase the ability to utilize 4 cores - if 4 isn't enough you must purchase additional licensing. Our company is currently going through this decision making process as we're upgrading from 9.2 to 10.1. I cannot give you any information on degradation. I believe Desktop and Catalog are single-core, but that's just from reading the forums here.
0 Kudos
MichaelWestmoreland1
New Contributor II
Just to get the ball rolling here, I'll explain what I know and hopefully it is correct.

When purchasing an ArcGIS Server 10.1 license you also purchase the ability to utilize 4 cores - if 4 isn't enough you must purchase additional licensing. Our company is currently going through this decision making process as we're upgrading from 9.2 to 10.1. I cannot give you any information on degradation. I believe Desktop and Catalog are single-core, but that's just from reading the forums here.

Thanks for the feedback.  We're going from 10 to 10.1 SP1.

I've read several documents about it.  And most are similar to this link.  ESRI claims that multi-cores are supported but the user community claims that an outright falsehood.  Anyone else have time to comment?

http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/31903
0 Kudos
NelsonDe_Miranda
Occasional Contributor III
Yes, server does take advantage of all the cores available on a machine.

For example, when doing a large scale map cache of we have a machine with 24 cores that runs at 100% utilization across all 24 cores.

Cheers,

Nelson
0 Kudos
JustinHunter
New Contributor III

For example, when doing a large scale map cache of we have a machine with 24 cores that runs at 100% utilization across all 24 cores.

Cheers,

Nelson

I'm curious - did you have to pay extra for licensing for all those cores, or does it come with this ability with the base license?
0 Kudos
LukeCatania
New Contributor III

Cheers,

Nelson

I have a 24 core machine and set max instances at 25 and ran caching process, but only see a few of the CPUs being using on and off and max CPU usages is between 10-15%.  Whats the secret to getting all cores utilized when caching?  I know only one SOC process can work on one bundle at a time, but if my zoom level has 84 bundles, it should be working on 24 bundles at a time.
0 Kudos
NelsonDe_Miranda
Occasional Contributor III
What version of ArcGIS are you running?
If you're running 10.0 without any service packs I know that there was a limitation with labelling which caused low processor usage.

In 10.1 that limitation of 1 SOC per bundle is no longer and issues; thus, generating a lot more cache in a smaller period of time.
0 Kudos
LukeCatania
New Contributor III
What version of ArcGIS are you running?
If you're running 10.0 without any service packs I know that there was a limitation with labelling which caused low processor usage.

In 10.1 that limitation of 1 SOC per bundle is no longer and issues; thus, generating a lot more cache in a smaller period of time.

I am running ArcServer 10.1 SP1.  I have had a ticket in with ESRI regarding CPU utiization issues.  Still no luck utilizing 100% CPU.  They had me run a test on US Cities sample which were vector layers.  Caching that uses 100% CPU, but when using raster data, I get 10-15% utilization.
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
TESRI claims that multi-cores are supported but the user community claims that an outright falsehood.

ESRI does use multi-threading in certain situations but, in general, they don't because ArcObjects are based on COM STA (not multi-threaded).  It seems clear that their overall strategy is to use multiple processes rather than multiple threads.  We see this in ArcGIS Server and in the ArcGIS Runtime.

Multiple cores is able to support multiples processes because processes are, in general, independent units of execution.
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
"...It is easier to support apartment threading in single-threaded apartments because COM provides synchronization on a per-call basis. Supporting free-threading is more difficult because the object must implement synchronization; however, response to clients may be better because synchronization can be implemented for smaller sections of code ..."
details: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms680112(v=vs.85).aspx
0 Kudos