Composite Geolocator "cannot be opened"

12-10-2012 09:33 AM
KimberlyMeinert
Occasional Contributor
I built a composite locator from a US Range plus a US Single house locator, both of which work fine.  But when a co-worker tried using the composite locator, he gets an error that says "The address locator cannot be opened.  A locator with this name does not exist."

I'm not sure how it can't exist when I can see it and pick it for use, but that's neither here nor there.  Anyone else run into that?

Oh, and we're running 10.0 SP4.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
A couple of things come to mind, mainly permissions.

Where does your locator reside?  Does your colleague have sufficient permissions for access?

What data do the locators access?  Does your colleague have sufficient permissions there as well?

Can your colleague run the 'member' locators on their own?

Sorry, more questions than answers, but perhaps you can chase these down...
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
KimberlyMeinert
Occasional Contributor
We gave it the same permissions as the other two it is built from, and those two locators work just fine.  We're still scratching our heads...
0 Kudos
LakshmiSankaran
Occasional Contributor
Same problem. Gave the same permission to the Composite Locator as its component locators in SDE (10).
The Composite Locator is visible in the user connection, but has the error message.

However the Composite Locator works when moved to a network location. Just remember to check the Relative paths option in all the locators.

Is this a bug?
0 Kudos
SeanSweeney
New Contributor III

This is an old thread but this is where Google leads with a search of the error message so I thought I'd add in my own findings.

This is a known bug and it will not be fixed (I have confirmed this with Esri support).  The bug reference is NIM068106.

The composite locator will work if you connect to SDE as the owner of the locator, but not as another user.  However, the current recommended best practice according to Creating an address locator is to use a locator stored in a folder on the file system:

However, for best practice and better geocoding performance, it is recommended that locators are stored in a file folder instead of a geocodebase (sic).

I've tested this in 10.2.2, 10.3, and 10.3.1.

0 Kudos
KimberlyMeinert
Occasional Contributor

Oh very interesting!  As it turned out, it seems to work when we turn them into services and build the composite locator from the two other locator services.  I don't know that everyone has that option though...

Thanks for the update though!

0 Kudos