Problem migrating parcels to parcel fabric

12-14-2012 07:36 AM
Labels (1)
LonSharp
Occasional Contributor II
I'm attempting to migrate our county parcel dataset into a parcel fabric, and have repeatedly run into a roadblock:

I have a personal geodatabase with approx 65,000 parcels in it.   I've created an empty fabric to load them into in the same geodatabase as my parcels.

Following the steps in the Help workflow, I created line features from the polygons, generated a new topology with the required rules, then cleaned and validated the topology.

Now I'm trying to use the "FabricLoad_Iterate" geoprocessing tool to load the parcels into the fabric.    I created a grid and loaded it into the "grid input" box.   "Group By Fields" is blank (as per Help instructions).  "Input Feature Layer" is pointed to my parcel features and "Target Parcel Fabric" is pointed to my new empty parcel fabric.    I click OK and the process starts to run.

Then the process stops with the following error:  "The source feature class must contain features"  "Failed to execute"

I KNOW there are features in the source feature class, as I can see them on the screen and I've been working with them for more than 10 years.

Any idea what the problem is?
Tags (2)
2 Replies
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor

For 65,000 parcels, you shouldn't need to run the iterate tool, simply run the Load a Topology Tool or the new Fabric Loader included with the Tax Parcel Editing download or you can also get it on GitHub.

The iterate tool should be used for very large datasets that will take a long time to load, 65,000 parcels should be fine.

Chris

0 Kudos
WalidAlmasri
New Contributor II

I had this problem and here's the solution.

Using the staging database, type7arcs & type6arcs feature classes use the domain IrParcelLineCategory which has coded values 0, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6. Well, if you type this field as 7 (as it says you need to do), you will get the error noted above. It just happened to work fine with type6arcs because you type the field as 6, which is a coded value.

In addition, the domains do not show up when you add new fields unless your source data is in the same geodatabase as your staging data.

0 Kudos