Relationship Classes with a database view

12-14-2012 11:13 AM
robertopiela
New Contributor
My organization houses business data in Oracle 11g. My division maintains several feature classes in SDE. I have used the Table-To-table tool to create data tables in SDE. The input tables are either Oracle views or queries (created in MS Access) from the business data. There is a 1:M relationship between the features and the data in the tables so I have created a relationship class that has 1:M cardinality. I have created a few tools that update the data tables daily. Running these tools everyday is a bit of a pain. Is there a way to have these Oracle views in a relationship class with my features so I can eliminate my data duplication and daily updates?

I am using a 10.1 client and soon 10.1 server. Can anyone assist?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
Is there a way to have these Oracle views in a relationship class with my features so I can eliminate my data duplication and daily updates?

Using the Database Connection or OLEDB / ODBC should allow you to view your data directly and use it in a relationship class if properly registered with an ArcSDE geodatabase.

See these Help topics:

Connecting to an enterprise geodatabase or database from the Catalog tree

Adding OLE DB connections to databases

Also see this, albeit slightly outdated, whitepaper concerning administering ArcSDE for Oracle, and especially the table on page 141, topic "Registering tables to be used by ArcGIS Desktop":

Administering ArcSDE for Oracle
0 Kudos
robertopiela
New Contributor
I have been meeting with our SDE administrator and we are not sure how to register a non-spatial Oracle view. We do not have Oracle Spatial, just 11g. Is there a procedure on how to register a non-spatial view or materialized view in SDE 10.1? The documentation implies that it is possible, but there is nothing for non-spatial views, only for spatial views. Can anyone offer assistance? The desire is to have a relationship class between a feature class and the non-spatial view.
0 Kudos
TravisBock1
New Contributor II
I have the exact same situation.  Is it possible to register a  non-spatial view (created in arccatalog or directly in sql) with the geodatabase so it can be used in a feature service?
0 Kudos