I'm really struggling to learn how to code!

12-17-2012 01:38 AM
GeospatialTechnology
Occasional Contributor
Hello, I've always really struggled with programming but I really want to get over this and learn to code in arcgis.

I did an introdution to java course as part of my university degree and just scaped through by the skin of my teeth.

I get the really basic stuff but courses I have done seem to take a massive leap and I get lost.

Can anyone recommend any good courses to do? I've been doing the free ESRI online ones and I seem to be doing okay but then when it comes to the exams I get lost.

Does anyone know of any resouces that would help me to understanding progamming in python better?

Thanks for any help!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Mark,

I highly recommend Introduction to Geoprocessing Scripts Using Python.  This course is how I was able to learn python.
0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
I recommend "Python Primer for ArcGIS", ISBN code 9781466274594
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
If you are a "visual learner", I would highly recomend Google's Python tutorials... Probably THE BEST quickstart resource I have seen.

https://developers.google.com/edu/python/
0 Kudos
GuidoStein
New Contributor III
I found that Codeacademy had some useful hands on tools for learning python:
http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python
0 Kudos
MayaThomas
New Contributor
I used Learn Python The Hard Way, and now I am reading Learning Python by Mark Lutz. If you're new to programming then it's good to use multiple sources until someone explains it the right way for you and it clicks. I've also used a bunch of other online tutorials, such as Non-Programmers Tutorial For Python, ZetCode Python tutorial, Linuxtopia's Python tutorial, and Tutorials Point Python tutorial.
0 Kudos
KevinBell
Occasional Contributor III
I'd suggest learning python BEFORE applying it to gis work. Any intro book should do.
0 Kudos
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
You wrote "... comes to the exams I get lost" - does your course has anything to do with ArcGIS and Python? If so, then I would suggest start from the Desktop help on Python:

What is Python

A quick tour of Python

Using Python for ArcGIS does not involve heavy programming - just follow the examples in help for geoprocessing tools and functions.
0 Kudos
GeospatialTechnology
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for the information all. I think it's definately a good idea to try and get my head around python before applying it to GIS. I don't know why it is but I just really struggle with programming. However I feel it's an essential skill to learn to progress my career in GIS so wish me luck! 🙂
0 Kudos
JamesHood
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for the information all. I think it's definately a good idea to try and get my head around python before applying it to GIS. I don't know why it is but I just really struggle with programming. However I feel it's an essential skill to learn to progress my career in GIS so wish me luck! 🙂

I had to self-learn python for the most part.  So from a noobies perspective: my process involved reviewing other's scripts and deconstructing them to see how they worked. 
Work through it line by line and make sure you understand what each line does.
Then replicate them in as simple a way as possible and change variables to make it do similar but different things.

Working with a user freindly editor such as PythonWin was very helpful.
0 Kudos