Water Distribution Model - Water Tower/Tank Storage Capacity

12-21-2012 10:34 AM
JaredCollier
New Contributor II
Within the Local Gov Model is there a location designed to include water storage tanks and tower information such as capacity, type(ground or elevated), and other information specific to storage?  That question would apply then to the rest of the features that are grouped into wStructureType like Production Well and Pump Stations.  For the moment I plan on creating a table and joining it but I am curious of other users experience with this situation.  I am tempted to remove Enclosed Storage Facility to its own Feature Class but I know that will have a ripple effect when we go to use some of the maps and apps.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor
If there is a business reason to separate the features into a separate layer, you should.  The Local Gov Info model is a starting point and should be configured to match the needs of your business.  There are certain changes we advise against, like changing a field name, we would recommend changing the Alias and some other.  I would recommend to document your changes and share them back to the water team.  If they make sense for the group, we can look at extending the LGIM to include the changes. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
JaredCollier
New Contributor II
Mike,

Thank you for the response and I realize that the LGIM is a great starting point that needs to be adapted.  We will consider separating the Structures out into individual FC in the future as you mentioned.  I am still curious though how others have incorporated tank capacity and type into the model, even if they are only for labeling.  I assume that since Tank Type (Elevated,Ground) and Tank Capacity are very basic, yet extremely relevant components of a system, someone has encountered this and may want to share their experience.  For now I am adding fields called "Label1" & "Label2" to preserve and use the information for cartographic reasons.  Then I can also add Label information about the Production Wells, Pump Stations, and Meter Stations stored in the same FC.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
cedwards8511
New Contributor III

I am having this same issue.

Trying to find good places to put things like water wells, water reservoirs, and booster stations.

Any suggestions?

RobertThomson
Occasional Contributor II

Same situation here with the Canadian Municipal Model.

0 Kudos