Feature Names in SDE Geodatabase

Jump to solution
01-04-2013 09:09 AM
BrendanDwyer
Occasional Contributor
I've installed SDE 10.0 on SqlServer 2008 on a 2008 R2 server.  We are using the dbo schema and windows authentication.  There is an active directory group ("ups") that all our users belong to.  We added the ups group as a user to the database and gave it datawriter and datareader permissions.

Users can log in and see the feature classes, but when they create a feature class, it adds the users name to the feature class name.  For example our database is named upssde, the user is John Smith, the feature class gets names "upssde.'John.Smith'.roads"

According to this page* SDE is creating a schema with the name of the user. 

We can't have the user name as part of the feature class name, and, obviously, this isn't how SDE is supposed to work.  I'm pretty sure I don't have the roles/permissions/groups set up right.  I'm not well versed in SQL Server.  Is there a way to set it up so that the user names don't show up in the feature class name?

Any help would be appreciated.

*For Windows groups, ArcGIS will create a matching schema for any group member the first time the user creates data in the geodatabase. The schema name will be the same as the login name, not the name of the group. This is done automatically; you do not have to create the schema ahead of time.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShannonShields
Esri Contributor
That documentation link isn't entirely accurate. It is SQL Server, not ArcGIS, that is automatically creating a user and schema when a Windows Group member creates a feature class or table.

User names will always "show up" in the name of an object displayed in ArcGIS because we show you the fully qualified name of that object - database.schema.table, e.g. upssde."John.Smith".roads. It is how you distinguish between upssde."John.Smith".roads and upssde."Dave.Jones".roads. The feature class itself is still just "roads", but as there may be many "roads" tables on different schemas, created by different users referencing it by its fully qualified name is now you make sure you are accessing the correct table.

Thank you for pointing out the documentation link - I'll see to it that it gets updated correctly.

-Shannon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
ShannonShields
Esri Contributor
That documentation link isn't entirely accurate. It is SQL Server, not ArcGIS, that is automatically creating a user and schema when a Windows Group member creates a feature class or table.

User names will always "show up" in the name of an object displayed in ArcGIS because we show you the fully qualified name of that object - database.schema.table, e.g. upssde."John.Smith".roads. It is how you distinguish between upssde."John.Smith".roads and upssde."Dave.Jones".roads. The feature class itself is still just "roads", but as there may be many "roads" tables on different schemas, created by different users referencing it by its fully qualified name is now you make sure you are accessing the correct table.

Thank you for pointing out the documentation link - I'll see to it that it gets updated correctly.

-Shannon
0 Kudos
BrendanDwyer
Occasional Contributor
Shannon,
Thanks for the reply.

So SDE/ArcCatalog is supposed to display the feature class as "upssde.'John.Smith'.roads"?  I thought I was doing something wrong when I set it up.  Will it always assign the Active Directory user's name to the schema/feature class?  I thought if I assigned editors to a role or a group, the feature class would take the role or groups name.

A few more questions: What happens when multiple users edit a file? Will the file always have the name of the user that created it?  And if we export the feature class, feature dataset or database, will it display the users name as part of the feature name?

I really appreciate the quick reply and I apologize for the barrage of questions. 

-Brendan
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Keep in mind that they're tables, not files.  Tables have to have an owner.  The group
grants access, but the user owns the tables.  Best practice is to create one or more users
to own the tables, then grant access to users (or groups) through roles.

Once data is exported, it usually doesn't really matter whether the previous owner is
part of the export (whether it does depends on the method of export -- there's a *lot*
of possible paths), since the user used to import into the next database will become
the new owner.

- V
0 Kudos
BrendanDwyer
Occasional Contributor
Vince,
Thanks for following up.  I just want to clarify something in your post.  You said that the best practice is to create a user to own the tables.  If we are using windows authentication, the user would have to be a user in Active Directory, correct?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Local security guidelines would of course take precedence, but the owner account would
generally be a "headless user", and therefore better map to a DBMS login (named for
the theme, department, or data source, e.g., "Basemap", Transportation", "USGS").
The password would be closely held, to make sure that it was only used by the data
librarian for changes to content and database design that have been approved for
use within the system.

- V
0 Kudos
BrendanDwyer
Occasional Contributor
OK.  Thanks for the clarification.
0 Kudos
ShannonShields
Esri Contributor
Brendan,

>So SDE/ArcCatalog is supposed to display the feature class as "upssde.'John.Smith'.roads"?
Yes, this is correct. We'll always display the fully-qualified name. This may be different depending on your data's source. In the case of SQL Server, it is database.schema.table

>Will it always assign the Active Directory user's name to the schema/feature class?
The basic model is that the user that creates the feature class "owns" it. SQL Server operates a little bit differently in that several releases ago (SQL Server 2005) they removed the concept of "ownership" as it applies to most database objects. Instead, within a database, there can be one or more namespaces called schemas. When data is created, it is associated with a particular schema. So, you could create a schema called 'Payroll' that housed all your payroll data, and multiple users could have permission to create data on the Payroll schema. John.Smith could create a table on Payroll by specifying the schema name in the create table statement - CREATE TABLE Payroll.Employee. Even though he created the data, he doesn't actually own it.

However.... and this is a big however, ArcGIS doesn't support schemas in SQL Server this way. We are working on addressing this in a future release, but right now we are still tied into this concept of ownership - the user who creates the data owns the data. There are several operations that restrict functionality based on ownership. For example, when using ArcGIS only the owner of a feature class can add or remove columns from it, or grant permission to other users to see it. Despite the fact that SQL Server may allow other users with elevated permission to perform these tasks, ArcGIS will restrict them. So, if your users are going to create and manage data in a SQL Server database using ArcGIS, any user who will create tables or views must have a default schema that has the same name as their user name. Users can only create data on their default schema, and that schema's name must match the user's.

> I thought if I assigned editors to a role or a group, the feature class would take the role or groups name.
No. Once an object is created on a particular schema, it stays on that schema. If John.Smith creates a feature class named roads, it will be referenced as "John.Smith".roads, regardless of John.Smith's role or group membership.

>What happens when multiple users edit a file? Will the file always have the name of the user that created it?  And if we export the feature class, feature dataset or database, will it display the users name as part of the feature name?
Having the ability to edit a table is separate from being able to create one. Users can be granted permission to perform edit operations on a table, but that has no impact on the schema that the table resides on. If you export the feature class, the user name will not be part of the export. If the table is exported to another SQL Server database, the user that performs the export operation will be the new "owner" of the table. So if Dave.Jones exports John.Smith's roads feature class into a new database, that table will become "Dave.Jones".roads.

-Shannon
0 Kudos
BrendanDwyer
Occasional Contributor
Shannon,
Thanks for the detailed post.  I appreciate it.

This database is going on a system where we don't want the users AD name as part of the layer name.  Is there any way to configure SQL Server or SDE using windows authentication where we can dictate what is displayed as the schema name?  For example, instead of uspsde.'John.Smith'.roads, we can configure it so that it displays (for example) upssde.Florida.roads?

Thanks,

Brendan
0 Kudos
LeoDonahue
Occasional Contributor III
Vince has already mentioned that you can do that by either mapping to a headless dbms account, or make one or two people data owners.  Unless you have active directory logins named Florida, you might consider making a dbms account for loading/owning certain data.The person who exports a table from database 1 to database 2 needs to have data owner permissions.
0 Kudos