How to remove the white background from a TIFF image

Jump to solution
01-13-2013 01:15 PM
StanleyMax
New Contributor
Hi everyone,

I am overlaying a TIFF image onto the World Topographic Map that I downloaded from ESRI ArcGIS Online.

Now, using Photoshop I have already removed the white background in the original TIFF image.  (This was a quick and easy thing to do using the magic-wand tool.)  Thus, the TIFF file contains only black showing a map outline, symbols, and words.

The problem is that when I add this TIFF file to my map in ArcGIS a white background shows up again.  Is there a way to make that white background disappear?

Thank you very much.

Stanley
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WadeLobb
Occasional Contributor
Go to the layer properties for the Tiff image, under symbology tab check the Display Background Value and change the value to 255 255 255, under "display as" select no color

View solution in original post

3 Replies
WadeLobb
Occasional Contributor
Go to the layer properties for the Tiff image, under symbology tab check the Display Background Value and change the value to 255 255 255, under "display as" select no color
StanleyMax
New Contributor
Hi Wade,

Thank you so much.

This was great information, and it solved the entire problem.

In fact, I experimented a bit, and I learned that I did not even have to go through the effort of clearing out the white background by means of Photoshop when I did what you advised.  Applying the steps that you explained eliminated the white background even when it existed in the original TIFF file.

Thanks again.  Great work.

Stanley
0 Kudos
ShellyMorgan
New Contributor III
I had a similar situation, I wanted a white background. I went to Properties, Symbology and checked the Invert box. Now, I have a white background, but I zoom in, the image is black. It works.
0 Kudos