LGIM 10.1 xml schema and ArcGIS Diagrammer

02-06-2013 07:58 AM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I understand that ArcGIS Diagrammer 10.1 is not fully supported, but wanted to caution others who would try to use it with the LGIM xml workspace document. The published xml from Diagrammer is corrupted, or Diagrammer cannot handle some of the objects.

OS/Software
Windows 7 x64
ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced 10.1 SP1 (Build 3143)
ArcGIS Diagrammer v10.0.1

Steps to Recreate
1) Open the 10.1 LocalGovernment.xml in Diagrammer
2) Save as a .diagram file (i.e., LocalGovernment.diagram)
3) Publish to new xml schema file
4) Try to import new xml schema into empty file geodatabase

The publish from Diagrammer works without errors, but I have been unsuccessful in importing it. Errors on that end have varied for me, but the most common was
       Import xml data failed
       The table was not found. [ParcelFabric_Parcels]

I believe this has to do with a DefinitionClassName associated with the ParcelFabric.

If you open the original LGIM xml in Diagrammer (without saving) and Validate, there several errors and warnings listed right off the bat. I had taken the time to make some changes to some added feature classes and domains for a public safety implementation, and now cannot import the published xml schema into a new geodatabase. Disappointing, but live and learn. Hopefully this will help someone else. I haven't used X-Ray very much, but I guess that's my next option...
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I never used ArcGIS Diagrammer but have used X-ray.  X-ray is not that great at creating a graphical data model but does an excellent job of creating data dictionaries.  I had issues with the graphical data model running off the page, text strings too long for the boxes, etc.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
MarcelaRondon
Occasional Contributor

Josh, do you happen to have the LGIM graphic data model?

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Here is probably the best thing I found for this 40585 - Data Models

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Not sure how helpful that is, I think this is old technology that Esri doesn't really support anymore. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
MarcelaRondon
Occasional Contributor

you, Sir, are a kind man.... in my current state, it will indeed be helpful.  i tried to use diagrammer to obtain the LGIM graphic data model and failed miserably, but i need to understand how it works so i can modify the code for the water utility network editing tools and get them to work properly with my own model. as you can see, i'm way out of my league (don't tell my boss)

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

The Data Dictionary created by X-ray may also be helpful to you in this case.  Not graphic but still useful

Install add-in - Local Government Information Model | ArcGIS for Local Government

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
MarcelaRondon
Occasional Contributor

James, i'm new to this and frankly didn't understand much of what you said.... i just downloaded the LGIM and installed diagrammer to obtain the graphic data model because i'm not interested in adopting the whole model but in getting the water utility network tools ESRI has to work with an existing model i'm trying to enhance...

if you could be so kind to share the LGIM graphic data model with me, i would really appreciate it.

0 Kudos