ArcGIS Python Addins - Am I doing this right?

02-19-2013 09:48 AM
MikeMacRae
Occasional Contributor III
Hey all,

I have been developing a few python addins and I'm just wondering what is the best way to update the addin anytime I edit the script.

Currently, if I make an edit to the script, it seems like I have to

1. Close ArcMap

2. Go to My addin folder and double click the 'makeaddin' python file

3. Double click the 'Python Addin File

4. Restart ArcMap for the changes to come into effect

If I don't do these steps, then the edits aren't recognized. This gets pretty annoying and time consuming when I want to place maybe a simple print line somewhere or I do a small edit.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks,
Mike
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChrisFox3
Hi Mike,

Yes that is the workflow you need to follow in order to make changes to your add-in.
0 Kudos
MikeMacRae
I'm wondering if any of the ESRI gurus on here can confirm that what I am doing is the only way?
0 Kudos
MikeMacRae
Thanks for responding Chris. I sincerely hope this is changed for the future. Building, testing and compiling python addin scripts this way is very, very time consuming....
0 Kudos
ChrisFox3
I understand, unfortunately it is not likely to change. Although it seems like you are making simple changes, this is a different level of customization you are making when you are building UI elements and application extensions. It just requires a restart of the application to take affect. This is essentially the same workflow you need to follow when building and testing .net add-ins as well.
0 Kudos
RichardLaw2
New Contributor II
0 Kudos