GPS Error - ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.1.1 and Ashtech Mobile Mapper 10

02-25-2013 05:34 AM
TimDonoyou
Occasional Contributor
Hi All,

I have just installed ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.1.1 on our Ashtech Mobile Mapper 10s and am unable to connect to the GPS...

"GPS Error has occurred. Would you like to try reconnecting?"

Has anyone else had this? or pointers?

I have seen Kevin Morris' post but the MM10s output NMEA and there are no options to change this as far as I can find.

Yours in hope...

Tim
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
Well you have figured out the most important thing for ArcGIS Mobile to work with a GPS is to have NMEA output.

I quickly googled this and found the following article that gives a step by step procedure on how to setup NMEA output.

I hope this works for you.
ftp://ftp.ashtech.com/Mobile%20Mapping/MobileMapper%20100/Applications%20notes/MobileMapper%20100%20...
0 Kudos
TimDonoyou
Occasional Contributor
Hi Akhil,

Thanks for your reply and yes I have seen this but it refers to the Ashtech MM100 and the MM10 does not have as many options in the GNSS toolbox.

The MM10 only has NMEA output so I would have thought that ArcGIS Mobile would pick this up as default like it has done in previous versions - we have never had this issue before but we have had issues transforming from WGS84 to British National Grid.

In the short term we have reverted back to the previous version as we have ongoing projects which cannot be delayed but longer term we are trusting these issues will be resolved...

Any further pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tim
0 Kudos
KerstinServatius
New Contributor III
Hi,

did somebody find a solution?

I have the same problem.

Thanks

Kerstin
0 Kudos
AnnKitowski
New Contributor III
Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
0 Kudos
NOLITALAVOIE
New Contributor

I had the same problem and this was the closest post I found, which still did not have an answer.

I was installing ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.2.0 on Mobile Mapper 20 GPS unit, but I assume the settings should be the same.

Here is the solution I found.

1. COM PORTS: You have to get the com ports configured just right. There is no help in the Mobile Mapper 10 guide on this, but did find the dedicated port settings in the Mobile Mapper 120 users guide.  Found that "COM3" is for the GNSS Toolbox and "COM2" is for Windows Mobile Applications. Ignore the res.

2. GPS Settings for Unit: The defaults on my Mobile Mapper were wrong. (Under the units settings ... systems ... External GPS.) Here are the settings that allowed it to work:

- Program Tab: "GPS Program Port": COM3,

- Hardware Tab: "GPS Hardware Port: COM2

- Access Tab: LEAVE the BOX UNCHECKED for "Manage GPS automatically". It always caused my GNSS Toolbox to not open. Of course this means I could not have ArcGIS mobile and the GNSS toolbox running at the same time, but it really would not work any other way.

3. ArcGIS Mobile Settings: inside of ArcGIS mobile ... under menu ... settings ... GPS Settings. Set the "GPS Connection Settings" to COM Port: COM3 and Baud Rate: 9600.

4. ArcGIS Mobile Project Settings: Inside of ArcGIS mobile ... under menu ... settings ... GPS Collection ... GPS Quality Filter Settings. DO NOT change from the defaults. Maybe it was just a fluke when I was doing my testing, but if I ever change the default to "differential GPS fix" it would either give me the "GPS connection" error or just never get the fix. Even though I had another unit at the same time with the "GPS fix" default setting that was receiving DGPS inside of ArcGIS Mobile.

5. GNSS Toolbox: As mentioned above, the Mobile Mapper 10 or Mobile Mapper 20 is the basic version of Mobile Mapper GPS units. It ONLY collects in NMEA, and the toolbox has no additional settings for the operator except enabling SBAS collection.

6. Operation Bug and potential "gotcha" when operating: You cannot have GNSS Toolbox and ArcGIS Mobile running at the same time. If you open the GNSS toolbox to check the status, and then open ArcGIS Mobile, the GPS will through an error or never lock. If you have ArcGIS mobile open, and then try to open the GNSS Toolbox, it will throw an error. You have to completely SHUT down each application to open the other one. I would consider this a bug, even though others may not. I know I am going to have field crew calling in reporting errors when this is the case.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos