Converting TIGER line files to shapefiles

06-09-2010 12:02 PM
UttaraNilawar
New Contributor
I wanted to extract the road data from the TIGER line files for the year 1990, but I am unable to convert these files into shapefiles. I tried to use a free program called TGR2SHP, but that converts only the TIGER line files before 1994, so that does not seem to work either.
Also, I tried to use the TIGER reader extension, but it is in the avx file format and the windows does not recognize it.
I have also used the Tiger tool conversion in ArcInfo, but that gives me just line coverages, without any attributes.
Can anyone tell me about any other way of converting the TIGER line files apart from the ones described above.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
KristopherKelley
New Contributor II
I have used this product before and it works good.  It is not a free product though.

Tiger Translator
0 Kudos
UttaraNilawar
New Contributor
But, it says that it converts the TIGER line files from the year 1995, but I need to convert the 1992 TIGER line files.
0 Kudos
RustyRex
Occasional Contributor
Any luck with this?  I have the same problem
0 Kudos
DavidGiacomin
New Contributor
Did anyone find a solution to this problem? Our research group has been looking for a solution for the 1990 tiger/line files to no avail.
0 Kudos
FrankMancini
New Contributor III

Has anyone made any headway on this issue?

I tried FWTools and TGRtoSHP.  I cannot get FWTools to properly translate the attribute data.  TGRtoSHP works for TIGER data after 1994 (only tried 2000 108th data). 

Neither can completely decode 1992 TIGER files, which I need for a land change modeling project. 

Tiger Translator does not appear to be available any longer.

Also does anyone know where the 1994-2000 TIGER data is available for download?  All of these tools refer to it but I have been unable to locate it.

0 Kudos
FrankMancini
New Contributor III

I found a working solution for converting 1992 TIGER to ESRI Shapefile if anyone is interested. 

I used OSGeo4W‌ Shell to run ogr2ogr...

ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" output folder TGR#####.F5I

FWTools: Open Source GIS/RS Binary Kit can also be used to run ogr2ogr.  Like I mentioned earlier it created the 1992 TIGER lines but did not convert attribute fields.

TGR2SHP - Software Informer. TGR2SHP is a science conversion program that handles specific files.‌  properly converted 1995, 2000 108th and 2006SE data (reportedly works for data from 1994 - 2006).  The GUI is easy to use and allows you to select only the data you are interested in.

0 Kudos