Analyze_management fails for FEATURE component type

03-06-2013 09:17 AM
RayChilcote
Occasional Contributor
ArcGIS 10.1 SP1, data is in SDE, Oracle 11.2.0.2.0
Upon loading a feature class, I have always Analyzed the feature class.  Created a python script as I've done this so much.

After updating my scripts to 10.1 syntax (arcpy, <tool>_Management or <tool>_management, camel case changes, etc), I have hit a stump.  Via a python script:

Analyze on the BUSINESS component works fine.
Analyze on the FEATURE component gives the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<interactive input>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\arcpy\arcpy\management.py", line 13516, in Analyze
    raise e
ExecuteError: Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.
ERROR 000800: The value is not a member of BUSINESS.
Failed to execute (Analyze).

We didn't spend long at 10.0.  But I do notice a difference in the ArcCatalog GUI between 9.3.1 and 10.1.  At 9.3.1, Business and Feature (as well as Raster, Adds, Deletes...) could be Analyzed separately.  At 10.1, once you hit Analyze, it's off and running.  Now whether or not this automatically runs STATS on each component type, I don't know.  The 10.1 documentation still shows that each component type can be Analyzed (via arcpy):
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0017000000n2000000

In ArcToolbox at 10.1, once an SDE featureclass is selected, the options reduce to one checkbox.  BUSINESS.  What's up with FEATURES?  Is this just not possible/needed?

Have I missed something?  Anything I should know before creating and digging through into Oracle traces?
Guess I could try to create and export a model, though generally I write a script right from the beginning.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RayChilcote
Occasional Contributor
Did find the command AnalyzeDatasets_management.  Having Datasets as part of the name is quite misleading.:(

If this performs statistics on the table indexes, why is Feature still in the documentation for Analyze_management?:confused:
0 Kudos
JohnHollingsworth
New Contributor
I'm having the same issue. Anyone from ESRI monitoring this channel?
0 Kudos
WileyOsborn1
New Contributor
Hi,

I just talked to ESRI support about this matter.
It was happening to me at 10.1 when I used data whose spatial type was ST_GEOMETRY.  At 10.0 I did not have this problem.

What I learned was that ST_GEOMETRY data does not have a Feature table (unlike LOB or Binary which do have one)!

So.. at 10.0 ArcGIS just pretended as if there was a Feature table - when you analysed it nothing actually happened. 10.1 acknowledges that there is no Feature table and does not offer it as an option for analysis.

Wiley Osborn
Contra Costa County,CA
Public Works Dept
0 Kudos