Basin Model File problem

03-21-2013 05:23 AM
Labels (1)
BlazBaric
New Contributor
Hello everybody!

I am a student using ArcGis for a bachelor project and I have encountered the following problem. I am using a version of ArcGis 10 with Spatial Analyst extension and Hec-GEO HMS. When trying to create Basin Model File the program prompts me wiht this message:

Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component
Basin file location=C:\Users......

Computer running on Windows 8. Not sure if it helps.

Does anybody know what seems to be the problem? Has anybody been in a similar position before? I was trying to solve the problem on my own but finished with no results.

Thank you all and have a nice day!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
BlazBaric
New Contributor
Thank you for your answer!

Mark Boucher's post was very helpful! Although it didn't solve all my problems, it helped a lot! One of the reasons was probably in the use of central european letters such as č, š, ž.. in the file directory.

Once again thank you and have a nice day!
0 Kudos
Muhammad_AdnanShahid
New Contributor
Hi Blaz,

I am using Hec Geo-HMS with ArcGIS 10, but on Windows 7. I am also facing the same error message not only at the basin model file generation step, but also during shape files creation step. Have you found the real reason of error and it's solution? Kindly let me know, because I have to input all the parameters like sub-basin area etc. manually in HMS otherwise. Thanks.
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
Quick reply:

• Work the project with data on your local drive and not over the network.

• Make sure the target locations are correct.

• Check other tips under the link in my signature block.

Mark
0 Kudos
HectorMayorga
New Contributor

Hello Blaz did you get to solve this problem? i have the same problem and i dont know how to solve it, please help me...

0 Kudos
THEODOREGEORGIADIS
New Contributor

Having the same problem with ArcGIS 10.2.2 HEC-GEOHMS 10.2 windows 10 pro. Latest .NET Framework is also installed. All target locations are in local drive C: and paths containing only english characters. I have tried other disks/paths with no result

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III

Sometimes I save and close Arc Map then reboot and this fixes the problem.

I've often wondered if Arc Map has trouble with the "undo" list. That is, if you've made a lot of changes with saving/reopening the .mxd, maybe it can't handle that and needs to have a "clean slate" to proceed. Only a theory...

0 Kudos