SOE Property Page - Persistence of Property Values (textboxes initialization)

03-21-2013 02:49 PM
OmarAjlouny
New Contributor
In ArgGIS for Server 10.1, Manager automatically generates a default "property page" for our SOE properties. This is great! However when I:

1. activate the SOE for some service;

2. fill in values of the SOE properties;

3. Save & Restart the service; and then

4. come back to view/edit that service's SOE properties,

I would expect/wish to see the current values in the controls.

This is not the case, it rather takes the default values (on each time) regardless of the current values. This is frustrating for administrators as they can't see if the values are properly set, neither can they just see what the current values are.

If somebody from ESRI believes it is a bug (or a worth while improvement), please log it as such. I'm now looking for a workaround.

I tried to achieve my goal with a custom property page for manager. I created one following the SDK provided sample and it is working but behaves like the default one in terms of controls' initialization. I could not find documentation, or samples further than that sample.

Before we migrate to 10.1, we used a custom property page (in ArcGIS 10) with C# (server-side) code to fetch the current values and properly initialize the controls. But manager is now, HTML and JavaScript (dojo). Any ideas on how initialize the textboxes with their current property values?

[/HR]

Capabilities/Allowed Operations
In addition, the Capabilities section is gone when implementing a custom property page. In the SDK sample, "Config.js" has a variable
_capabilities: null

What value should this variable have in order to re-introduce the capabilities? I tried a string like "GetInfo,ShowMetadata" (which are the names of my capabilities) and still I got nothing.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
OmarAjlouny
New Contributor
Persistence Solved!
Thanks to Chrome's code inspector, I could find my way into the dojo code and see what's going on...

[INDENT]
Cause of the Bug
My property names started with a Capital letter!

ArcGIS/Manager internally renamed (!!!) them (by forcing the first letter to small caps). This broke the link between the property and its initializing code - both in the default page and the custom one provided in the SDK sample.

Solution
I renamed the properties making sure they start with a small letter!
I hope someone would save the headache I went through by simply respecting this naming convention.
[/INDENT]

Handling Capabilities in a custom property page
I still don't know how to handle this. If someone knows how to set them in the Config.js, it would be nice to have a neat property page. Otherwise, I can abandon the custom page altogether since my first issue is solved.

In ArgGIS for Server 10.1, Manager automatically generates a default "property page" for our SOE properties. This is great! However when I: 

1. activate the SOE for some service;

3. fill in values of the SOE properties;

5. Save & Restart the service; and then

7. come back to view/edit that service's SOE properties,

I would expect/wish to see the   current values in the controls. 

This is not the case, it rather takes the   default values (on each time) regardless of the   current values. This is frustrating for administrators as they can't see if the values are properly set, neither can they just see what the current values are. 

If somebody from ESRI believes it is a   bug (or a worth while   improvement), please log it as such. I'm now looking for a workaround. 

I tried to achieve my goal with a   custom property page for manager. I created one following the SDK provided sample and it is working but behaves like the default one in terms of controls' initialization. I could not find documentation, or samples further than that sample. 

Before we migrate to 10.1, we used a custom property page (in ArcGIS 10) with C# (server-side) code to fetch the current values and properly initialize the controls. But manager is now, HTML and JavaScript (dojo).   Any ideas on how initialize the textboxes with their current property values?

[/HR] 
Capabilities/Allowed Operations
In addition, the   Capabilities section is gone when implementing a custom property page. In the SDK sample, "Config.js" has a variable  
_capabilities: null

What value should this variable have in order to re-introduce the capabilities? I tried a string like "GetInfo,ShowMetadata" (which are the names of my capabilities) and still I got nothing.
0 Kudos
AjitDharmik
New Contributor III
Hi Omar,

A custom property page does not have capabilities. Only map services and SOEs have capabilities.

The capabilities member you see in the Dojo widget is there for internal purposes and should be ignored.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks!
Ajit
0 Kudos
OmarAjlouny
New Contributor
Hi Omar,

A custom property page does not have capabilities. Only map services and SOEs have capabilities.

The capabilities member you see in the Dojo widget is there for internal purposes and should be ignored.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks!
Ajit

Hi Ajit,

Thank you for the clarification. However, the default "capabilities" section of the SOE disappears as soon as I implement a custom property page. Any ideas why? or how to return to the default automatic handling of the SOE's Capabilities in Manager?

Thanks in advance!
Omar
0 Kudos
PhanindraDulam1
New Contributor II

Hello Omar,

Are you able to get Capabilities (Operations) with Custom Property page in Manager.

Even I am facing same issue now, Please let me know if you got solution.

And one more question is if not possible with custom property page, how they are handling with KML extension with both operations and Property page?

Thank you,

Regards,

Phanindra

0 Kudos
YueWu1
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Phanindra, If you have the ArcObject.NET SDK install in your machine, you can check the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit10.2\Samples\ArcObjectsNet There are couple of samples show how to use .NET to interact with SOE with Capabilities and Properties. Best Regards, Nathan

0 Kudos