Sharing with group insists on every one

03-26-2013 10:13 AM
JamesLabate
New Contributor II
Hello -

I have a Group in a public ArcGIS online account. One of my maps has allways been shared with only the group. I switched it momentarily to everyone to see about sending a presentation. Now I can't set the sharing setting back to Group Only.

I get this message:
"Items owned by a Public Account must be shared to everyone before sharing to a group".

I don't want it shared to everyone. Has something changed here?

thanks for a prompt response - it's important

Jim
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
To late to say this but Best Practice is to make a temporary map to share with the public and then delete it when you are done.

A couple things you can try. 

Go into my content select the map and click the share button. Un-select everything and share with nobody.

Then share it again to the group that you want.  I just tried it on one of my maps and it worked for me.

If that does not work you may have to remake the map.  Open the map.  Do a save as with a different name.  Make sure it is functional.  Get rid of the improperly shared map and re-save the new map as the original name.

However, I believe the first option here should work.

Hello -

I have a Group in a public ArcGIS online account. One of my maps has allways been shared with only the group. I switched it momentarily to everyone to see about sending a presentation. Now I can't set the sharing setting back to Group Only.

I get this message:
"Items owned by a Public Account must be shared to everyone before sharing to a group".

I don't want it shared to everyone. Has something changed here?

thanks for a prompt response - it's important

Jim
0 Kudos
JamesLabate
New Contributor II
Mr. Borchert,
Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, the door is closed. Policy change. No new secure maps can be added to an existing group and no new group members either. New groups are public. New maps are either Not shared or Shared with everyone. How long ago was it you were able to change your share setting from "not shared" to your secure group?

Jim
0 Kudos
RobertWeise
New Contributor
Mr. Borchert,
Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, the door is closed. Policy change. No new secure maps can be added to an existing group and no new group members either. New groups are public. New maps are either Not shared or Shared with everyone. How long ago was it you were able to change your share setting from "not shared" to your secure group?

Jim

I think this is the same issue I ran into in another post, where I want to share a map only with a specific group. Does anyone know more about the possible change in the ago service?
RJ
0 Kudos
Arlington_CoGISMC
New Contributor III
Yes, with ESRI's latest update they've taken away all rights for public accounts.  In December they remove the ability for public accounts to create private groups and last week their March update removed the ability for public accounts to join any private groups whatsoever.  You must now purchase the organizational licenses that are too expensive for anyone.  We had a nice chat with our ESRI rep about this who tried to explain that this was well advertised, which it was not.  Their own staff had no clue at the last conference or at any time afterwards when we discussed it with them.

This has been a plain and simple case of Bait and Switch by ESRI... sucker you into using AGO for two years and then pull the rug out from under you and demand payment.  Sounds like they've been taking lessons from drug dealers... "let's get 'em hooked and then stick it too them!"
0 Kudos
RobertWeise
New Contributor
Interestingly enough today I was able to share maps only with Groups again. It almost looks like ESRI changed it by accident (?) and turned it back to the way it was.
Anybody else had the same experience?
RJ
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Interestingly enough today I was able to share maps only with Groups again. It almost looks like ESRI changed it by accident (?) and turned it back to the way it was.
Anybody else had the same experience?
RJ

Might have been just with existing groups. I've tried just simply joining a new public group to share data with and now I'm told that an "organization account can't join a public group".
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
I did it thirty seconds before I responded on a some of my content to make sure it worked before writing the idea.

Mr. Borchert,

Jim
0 Kudos