geotag photos using ArcGIS Mobile Juno SB

03-28-2013 01:49 PM
KarenFolger
Occasional Contributor II
We have some Juno SB's that have built in cameras.  We are trying out ArcGIS Mobile as a field solution.  However, it seems that photos aren't geo-tagged automatically.  Is there a trick to making this happen?  I would think that a camera built into a GPS device would store the coordinates in the photo exif, but this is not happening.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
HenrikSvenningsen
Occasional Contributor
Just a basic question, but have you turned it on ?...I don't know the JUNO SB, but in our model we have to turn it on (it's something about saving power by not running the GPS all the time).
0 Kudos
KarenFolger
Just a basic question, but have you turned it on ?...I don't know the JUNO SB, but in our model we have to turn it on (it's something about saving power by not running the GPS all the time).

I could see that you might have to turn on the GPS functionality, but if you're not in a "GPS" centric application, like Terrasync, how would you turn on the GPS?  I have tried using the Controller, but that does not work.  It seems that the camera has to have another application running the GPS - why is this not built in?
0 Kudos
HenrikSvenningsen
Occasional Contributor
Have you upgraded the Trimble GPS software on it after you received the JUNO ?

And If...also ALL of depending software according to Trimble's website.....if you have not done that, then your NOT able to connect to the GPS.

http://www.trimble.com/junosb_ts.asp?Nav=Collection-60297

And your GPS is running NMEA output or ?

Can you see your GPS in the GPS Controller? (under Options in the Controller you can connect/disconnect to the GPS).

This is from Trimble's website FAQ:
Can I link pictures to GIS features that I am capturing?
Yes. You can use the TerraSync software to control the taking of still photographs. Any photographs
initiated from within the TerraSync software are automatically associated with the current GIS feature
and are moved to the folder in which your TerraSync data is stored. This file association is preserved
during data download and export using the GPS Pathfinder Office software.

Are the pictures time-, date-, and position-stamped?
If you use the camera button to take a picture, it will be time- and date-stamped using the Juno series
handheld�??s internal clock. Pictures taken using this method do not have an associated GPS position.
However if you take a picture using the TerraSync software, not only is the picture time- and datestamped, but the TerraSync software also writes the current GPS position to the picture�??s EXIF header. www.trimble.com Page 13
This means the picture can always be identified in space and time, even if it is subsequently separated
from the GIS data you were collecting at the time the picture was taken
0 Kudos
Amadeus111

you might need to go to camera settings and turn on GPS stamp.

0 Kudos