Web Adaptor with Forms Authentication

04-08-2013 05:59 AM
thejuskambi
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

Is it possible to configure the WebAdaptor to work with Forms Authentication of IIS. We have a scenario, where we have a user store in our system and it would be great if we could use the same user store rather than having to ask user of another login.

Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated

//Thejus
0 Kudos
11 Replies
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
Not sure. I've had to disable forms authentication in a lot of cases when using Web Adaptor. Also, there is a bug -  NIM-083117 which may apply.

NIM-083117
http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/TklNMDgzMTE3
0 Kudos
JustinRodriguez
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

Is it possible to configure the WebAdaptor to work with Forms Authentication of IIS. We have a scenario, where we have a user store in our system and it would be great if we could use the same user store rather than having to ask user of another login.

Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated

//Thejus

Hello,
To be transparent, this configuration would be outside the scope of Technical Support, but yes you should be able to make this work. Basically what web tier authentication does is off loads authentication to the web server, in this case IIS. You should be able to take advantage of any form of authentication that is supported in IIS. Now please keep in mind that your identity store would still be windows, so the credentials would still come from windows in some way shape or form (no pun intended). I hope that helps. Thanks-

Justin
0 Kudos
HenryColomb
New Contributor II
Hey Jusk
   Im attempting to do the same thing with an asp.net mvc login page. Have you had any success implementing this?
Thanks
0 Kudos
XuejinRuan
New Contributor III
Hi Henry,

We are trying to do the same thing here: ArcGIS Server configured with WebAdaptor web-tier authentication; ASP.net MVC login page.

Do you have any luck implementing yours? Any road blocks you have run into?

Thanks so much!

Xuejin

Hey Jusk
   Im attempting to do the same thing with an asp.net mvc login page. Have you had any success implementing this?
Thanks
0 Kudos
MichaelPotter1
New Contributor III

I am having the same issue and keep getting the following error.

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

0 Kudos
KennethOGuinn
New Contributor III

I believe the following document will be of use for those who have not seen it yet:

Setting up a Customer Identity Provider using ASP.NET

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//0154000005v5000000

Michael, are you reading from Server with an ASP.NET provider by chance are you using  a service from ArcGIS Online?

I ask because if you are using Flex Viewer 3.5, there was a bug that generated this error message when adding hosted services from ArcGIS Online. So if that is the case, you'll want to upgrade to 3.7. (Though it's entirely possible other things from Server with ASP.NET authentication could also yield a similar error.

ArcGIS Viewer for Flex | ArcGIS Resource Center

Hope this helps!

Ken O.

0 Kudos
MichaelPotter1
New Contributor III

Hi Ken,

This error is being generated for any secured services I have on my ArcGIS Server, nothing from ArcGIS Online.

I am actually using 10.0 .NET SQL Server security store as my identify provider which works great but trying to get the Web Tier authentication to work with it is proving difficult.

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
DanKuida
New Contributor

Anyone managed to make this work ?

I did manage to make a custom asp.net provider - but now I wonder how do I enable web tier auth with it ?

and also since in the sample the asp.ent provider comes from a file - how can the DB based asp.ent log with it ?

I guess the custom provider needs to make the authentication using the db too.

But still - I need to enable the web tier auth I guess

0 Kudos
Santhosh_KumarRamanathan
New Contributor

Hi,

do anyone managed to do this authentication.

I am trying to use Asp.Net MVC login to open Map service through web adapter(IIS) of Forms Authnication.

Santhosh

0 Kudos