Problem with Pyramids in SDE 10.1

04-09-2013 08:09 AM
JacobRaymond
New Contributor III
Ever since upgrading to v10.1 we have been having issues with building pyramids on raster datasets which have been created on SDE. It doesn't happen every time, but it does happen often enough that it makes me want to repeatedly punch myself in the face as it is often on very large rasters that I have just spent 6-10 hours loading. So the issue is that the rasters load fine to the geodatabase, but then when it comes time to build pyramids it seems to only want to build 1 level and then stop. It doesn't matter what parameters I set (ie: nearest neighbor, bilinear etc) it refuses to build more levels. Even if I delete pyramids and try to rebuild them it still does this. It seems the only solution is to completely delete the raster dataset and reload everything from scratch-- maybe it will build the pyramids this time.

Has anyone every experienced this issue or have any advice on things to try?

Thanks,

Jacob Raymond
0 Kudos
3 Replies
LinderRingo
Esri Contributor
Hi Jacob,

It seems you are running in to the following defect  [#NIM085575 The Build pyramids -1 option yields only one pyramid level on SDE raster datasets] There has been an issue where The Build pyramids -1 option yields only one pyramid level on SDE raster datasets and doesn't seem to rebuild the pyramids.
Please consider the following:
1. For existing raster datasets please reset the raster pyramids level to 0 using Build Pyramids GP tool( ArcToolox>Raster>Raster Properties> Build Pyramids) Once the operation is completed then use the same tool to rebuild pyramids and provide Pyramid levels ie 8 is an optimal number.
2. When loading new raster datasets>Database connection>Import Rasters>Input Rasters ( then click on Environment Settings>Raster Storage>Provide a value for Pyramid Levels).
3. You can use sderaster commandline to build pyramids and provide the pyramid level.

Thanks
0 Kudos
HusenKang
New Contributor II
I have the same issue here. Try your suggestion by specifying the level but the pyramid resolutions is very low even for no compression setting.
Anyone has solutions for this?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RobertChaney
Occasional Contributor
I'm using 10.1 and also having the same issue as Husen.  I'll specify a pyramid level but the top levels are of poor resolution, not until I zoom in really close does the imagery look ok.  Never had this issue with previous releases.  I'm using bilinear and choosing the default compression.  Linder, can you explain what's happening here?

Thanks,
Robert.
0 Kudos