Spatial Adjustment works OK but when I try to save edits, ArcMap freezes

06-15-2010 03:15 AM
JamesNunn
New Contributor III
Spatial Adjustment works OK but when I try to save edits, ArcMap freezes

The data I am editing is derived from a DXF (CAD) and I have processed the features up to now, removing most of the junk attributes, Z values and cleaning the topology using ET GeoWizards. All I have is 2 files, one points and one lines layer.

The adjustment works fine but the save kills everything.

Thanks for any help
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JeffreyMunowitch
New Contributor
I am also having this issue.  The data originates from CAD and freezes upon saving.

Anybody have any solutions?
0 Kudos
MatejCunder
New Contributor II
Helo,

the only thing that worked for me was exporting all the features into shapefiles and then edit them.

Hope this will help.

Best regards,
Matej
0 Kudos
MichaelD_Aprix
New Contributor II
Hello,

Just wondering if there has been a fix for this?  I am working with data I have digitized into polygons from a CAD drawing, when I do the actual spatial adjustment everything works fine until I try to save the edits.  When I attempt to save the edits ArcMap freezes and stops responding. 
In one case, after waiting around 40 minutes I closed the program only to find, upon reopening the data that around 30 features had actually been moved while the rest of the data remained in its original location. 

So again, if there is a fix for this I would really like to know!  Or if I am possibly doing something wrong, I would like to know.

I am using ArcGIS 10.2 and the CAD data is from AutoCAD 2014.

-Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelD_Aprix
New Contributor II
Hello again!

I've come back with a solution to the problem at least it worked for me.  The solution I have found is as Matej suggests, to export out the data.  From what I could determine, when I projected the data the extent would become enourmous and would crash on save, the extent would shift from about 1000 meters to some ridiculous number.  When I projected the data and exported the data it corrected the extent and allowed me to save the adjustment. 

Hope this helps

-Mike
0 Kudos
LisaStanners
Esri Contributor

Sorry this is so late, but I am wondering how  you all got your CAD data into the feature class?

Did you use the CAD to geodatabase GP tool?

Or an import? I think that could help us figure out where the corruption of maybe the data spatial index happens.

Thank you,

Lisa

0 Kudos
LoaiFarajallah
New Contributor III
0 Kudos