Looking for a ???Sharing??? option

05-08-2013 04:16 AM
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
Within my ArcGIS Online for Organizations subscription, I am consuming secure map service from my ArcGIS for Server 10.11 by using the '+Add Item' in the My Content window.  I then create and save an ArcGIS.com map that contains the secure map service.  Finally, I Share my map with a Group.  If I don???t also Share the secure map service to the same group, the map cannot display the secure map service.  Members of the group now see two items in the Group folder and are confused which to open.

I wish that the ???publisher??? of a map could add an unshared secure map service item from a My Content folder to an ArcGIS.com map and then share the map (with map service) to a group.  This would keep the one or many map services behind the scenes and less distracting/confusing to group members.  The ???sharing??? of the map and its content is the key to map service access.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I can see the merits of the idea, however, I don't see a change coming anytime soon. The sharing model of ArcGIS Online is pretty deeply integrated into the server and across all clients. It would be a big change to make such an enhancement happen.

We do provide item filtering on a group page, where somebody can just show web maps. Perhaps this would help your members.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
Mike:

Thank you for your quick response.  I had overlooked that option.

We are enjoying learning what ArcGIS Online can do for our end-users and how it fits into our extensive toolbox of GIS tools.  Keep up the good work!

Sincerely,
0 Kudos