Editing the ExportWebMapTemplates

05-14-2013 04:16 AM
BeckyCarr
New Contributor II
Is it possible (and will there be a problem) if we add a north arrow to the layout templates in the "ExportWebMapTemplates" that are used in the PrintingTools (Geoprocessing Service)?
Version 3.1. Server 10.1.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
According to the documenation, if the templates folder is registered with your server, you can make the change and it will automatically update it.

However, I have had zero success with this, even re-starting server/computer.  If I make the change, then re-create my export web map service, THEN it will see the changes I made to the templates.

R_
0 Kudos
BeckyCarr
New Contributor II
R,
Thank you for the reply.  I don't mean the new templates we create for a service.  I am referring to the layout templates located in the "Templates" folder of the install with Server, the "A4 Portrait", "Letter ANSI A Landscape", "Letter ANSI A Portrait" .mxds....etc.
The layouts that work with the standard Print Widget.

B
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
So am I.

Updating the layout templates
If you want to update the layouts in your layout templates folder, the appropriate workflow is determined by whether you registered the layout templates folder with the server before publishing (see the previous section "Registering your layout templates with ArcGIS Server").

Updating the layout templates folder if you registered it with ArcGIS Server
If you registered your layout templates folder with the server, this means the server can see your layouts. Simply make updates to the MXDs in the folder and your new layouts will be immediately available.

Updating the layout templates folder if you did not register it with ArcGIS Server
If you did not register your layout templates folder with the server, the layouts were copied to the server at the time of publishing. You need to perform a service overwrite to update the templates on the server. Follow these steps to do the overwrite:

Steps:
In ArcMap, open the Export Web Map tool and run it using your desired default values as described in the previous section.
Right-click the geoprocessing result and choose Share As > Geoprocessing Service.
Choose the option Overwrite an existing service and click Next.
Click the name of the service you want to overwrite and click Continue.
On the Service Editor, verify that all the service properties are set to your liking (they should default to the properties you chose when you originally published the service). Then click Publish.
The options you choose overwrite all options set during the first publishing. The layout templates folder (including your updates) are copied to the server and replace the layout templates folder that was put there when you published the service originally.

from here:   http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Tutorial_Publishing_additional_services_fo...

R_