Published document location

Jump to solution
05-20-2013 02:19 PM
DanielSmith
Occasional Contributor III
In short, why does ArcGIS server copy my mxd and create the msd in the arcgissystem\arcgisinput\ folder? is there a way to change this and just have one copy of the mxd or am i forced to run the overwrite service workflow?

I am probably missing something here. I believe i understand the data registration just fine, but it is escaping me why the server  the server copies the mxd to and creates the msd at the \directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\ location. The server has access to both the mxd folder and the geodata folder.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Daniel,

In short, why does ArcGIS server copy my mxd and create the msd in the arcgissystem\arcgisinput\ folder? is there a way to change this and just have one copy of the mxd or am i forced to run the overwrite service workflow?

As you discovered, ArcGIS 10.1 for Server keeps its own copies of the MXD, MSD, and SD for each service at this location. Note that these files aren't meant for you to modify. They're used internally by the server.

If you make changes to your source MXD, you need to go through the publishing wizard again but choose the option to "Overwrite an existing service". Please review this help topic: Overwriting a service in ArcGIS for Desktop. If you registered your data locations, then no data copying will occur during the overwrite. It will only overwrite the server's copy of the MXD.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DerekLaw
Hi Daniel,

As you discovered, ArcGIS 10.1 for Server keeps its own copies of the MXD, MSD, and SD for each service at this location. Note that these files aren't meant for you to modify. They're used internally by the server.

If you make changes to your source MXD, you need to go through the publishing wizard again but choose the option to "Overwrite an existing service". Please review this help topic: Overwriting a service in ArcGIS for Desktop. If you registered your data locations, then no data copying will occur during the overwrite. It will only overwrite the server's copy of the MXD.

Hope this helps,
PaulLohr

Going from version 10.0 to 10.1, this internally maintained data illustrates that there has been complexity added to ArcGIS Server without adding value to the product (from my perspective). At version 10.0, creating a web service required less setup, modifying the service was not a hassle, and the process was understandable.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Paul,

> Going from version 10.0 to 10.1, this internally maintained data illustrates that there has been complexity added to ArcGIS Server without adding value to the product (from my perspective).

FYI, ArcGIS 10.1 for Server (and subsequent releases) has a completely new architecture than earlier releases of ArcGIS Server (e.g., 10.0 or earlier). There are many benefits such as: 64-bit processes, easier installation, easier to manage and configure, etc. You can learn more:

ArcGIS for Server 101 ArcUser technical article

Regarding the specific reason why Server makes a copy of the mxd when you publish content, it is there in case you may want to re-publish the service and/or replicate it sometime in the future.

Hope this helps,

DanielSmith
Ok, so I'm not completely nuts and missing a large part of my brain. Thanks for the clarification!!
0 Kudos