can't register database

05-22-2013 12:54 PM
KirstenLawrence
New Contributor III
I am trying to register an sde database that I have stored on the same machine arcgis sever 10.1 is installed on. I am running 64 bit sql server express. This is the error I get:

Machine: XXXX [database: The connection property set was missing a required property or the property value was unrecognized. Bad login user]

I am trying to add the database using operating system authentication.

can anyone help? thanks!
Tags (2)
14 Replies
KirstenLawrence
New Contributor III
i figured it out i needed to give permission to the ags account
CarlBrydon
New Contributor II

Hi Kristen - where did you give permission to the ags account?  In SQL Server, or on the geodatabase in ArcCatalog?

The permissions I've set for SQLEXPRESS are...

agsadmin - server roles are public and sysadmin

Permissiosn on the geodatabase in SQLEXPRESS are..

Owned Schemas - agsadmin

Role Members are db_datareader, db_datawriter, db_owner

I also checked on ESRIAdmin, ESRIReadData, and ESRIWriteData just to see if that would help, but it didn't.

In ArcCatalog, I have the asgadmin user as a server administrator on SQLEXPRESS.

Is there anywhere else I should be checking?

BeckyCarr
New Contributor II
I am having the EXACT SAME message with same versions of software, etc.  However, my database HAS proper permissions to ags.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks.
0 Kudos
AmyBrassieur
New Contributor III
Having the same problem. Going in circles. Would pay for someone to remote into my computer and talk me through what has to happen for this to work.

I'm not a DBA, faking my way through SQL permissions.
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Did you install the DBMS client on the ArcGIS Server machine?

If so, and your ArcGIS administrator account has been added to your SQL Server instance and databases but you still get this message, check to make sure that the ArcGIS Server service is not running under the Windows "local service" account.
YungKaiChin
Occasional Contributor
Having the same problem. Going in circles. Would pay for someone to remote into my computer and talk me through what has to happen for this to work.

I'm not a DBA, faking my way through SQL permissions.

You probably need to setup a database account that can be used by ArcGIS server.
0 Kudos
AmyBrassieur
New Contributor III
Thanks for the tips! I fumbled my way through SQL users and roles and got it to work.

Thanks!

Amy Brassieur
0 Kudos
CarlBrydon
New Contributor II

Hi Amy,  I'm having the same problem.  Are you able to share which SQL users and roles you changed and/or updated to get things working?

0 Kudos
ChaseWetzel
New Contributor

Carl,

Did you ever figure this problem out?

0 Kudos