Building Walls

06-21-2010 07:58 AM
Labels (1)
SwamyPati
New Contributor
While building walls using ArcHydro Tools, this error appears all the time - -2147467259, Automation error .
What could be the problem?  And how important is Building Walls in the overall processing Catchment delineation?

Thanks for any advise.
-Swamy.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JeffTang
New Contributor II
You build walls if you don't want an area to have any flow leave the area, so it's dependent if that's your intent.

I actually just started encountering this error, after running through the steps multiple times for the same criteria, with never a hiccup.

Started getting errors for the wall or when I try to assign a stream slope.  All started happening after I began incorporating Sink Pre-screening.  Stream slope assignment worked prior to incorporating Sink Pre-Screening; now it doesn't work.  Now my Build Walls step is not working, no matter how many times I start over fresh.

Using Win 7 Pro 64-bit w/a Core 2 Duo 3GHz and 4GB ram. 

Any ideas on the errors?
BenBacca
New Contributor II
I had the same problem. I ran the program without a hitch until the final steps of terrain preprocessing and the walls became streams. I deleted everything and started over and it would not let me build walls again. I tried uninstalling & reinstalling and starting from completely un-worked data but nothing.

If anyone figures it out, I would love to know the trick! I have a watershed delineation provided by the client but it doesn't match up properly with my end result before basin processing. :shrug:
ChristineDartiguenave
Esri Contributor
You probably have a corrupted file in your window temp. You need to cleanup your temp directory.
You can type %temp% in explorer to find your temp location.

Christine Dartiguenave
Esri Water Resources Team
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
ZacharyStauber
New Contributor

I am getting similar problems doing the ArcHydro tutorial at step "Build Walls."  ArcMap 10.2.2, with ArcHydro 10.2.0.96 for 64-bit.  It crashes the first time.  If I restart ArcMap and try again, it starts, the status bar fills to 100% in just a couple minutes, and then it hangs, it's been running 20 hours now.  The memory allocation goes back and forth between about 70 MB and 1 GB, the CPU is full the entire time.  This is a six core i7-4770K 3.5 GHz machine with 32 GB of RAM, Windows 8.1 for 64-bit, so I doubt it really takes anywhere near this long if it were working properly.  I had the same problem on a slower Windows 7 laptop (crash and then runs forever on second try), and a co-worker had the same problem on her machine.  It's not temp files because it doesn't crash, it just runs forever.  So I think that something is wrong with either the tutorial dataset or ArcHydro's ability to handle it.

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher

Early on I eliminated crashes, or at least reduced them, by putting all my layers on the C: drive. Before that I had all the data on the network. Moving the data to my PC not only greatly reduced crashes, it sped the processing time up noticeably.

0 Kudos
ZacharyStauber
New Contributor

Thank you, sir. I do have all my layers on C:\ drive, but I’ve also been told that there are problems with grids in particular unless the path to them is really short, so I may move them to something short like C:\workspace just to make sure it’s not something simple like that. I’m just not sure what’s going on. The ArcHydro tutorial, which does work, uses elevation models from NHD+, and I may try that. Until now I’ve been using a DEM that we have always used with Weasel for the same operations (basin characteristics), and I was doing that because we have to use ArcHydro to match the output from Weasel until we can get a different workflow approved by our federal partner. Weasel only works with Arc/Info 10.0 though so it’s time to move to ArcHydro.

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher

I've heard that having different projections can cause problems in geoprocessing that otherwise don't make sense. I've always worked with data that was from our own data managers and therefore on our standard projection, so I've not had to deal with the different projections. So, see if the projections are different in your layers.

0 Kudos