ArcGIS Connection has stopped working

05-29-2013 05:53 AM
LaneHartman
New Contributor III
Anybody having trouble with the ArcGIS Connection failing in version 2500 with Windows 7? It doesn't seem to fail with any other 10.1 ArcGIS software.  Here's the Windows Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: ArcGISConnectionBin.exe
  Application Version: 10.1.2.3252
  Application Timestamp: 511165ea
  Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
  Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec49b8f
  Exception Code: c000071f
  Exception Offset: 0009a3b9
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: a7aa
  Additional Information 2: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d
  Additional Information 3: a7aa
  Additional Information 4: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d
0 Kudos
15 Replies
MarkBaigent
New Contributor
Anybody having trouble with the ArcGIS Connection failing in version 2500 with Windows 7? It doesn't seem to fail with any other 10.1 ArcGIS software.  Here's the Windows Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: ArcGISConnectionBin.exe
  Application Version: 10.1.2.3252
  Application Timestamp: 511165ea
  Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
  Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec49b8f
  Exception Code: c000071f
  Exception Offset: 0009a3b9
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: a7aa
  Additional Information 2: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d
  Additional Information 3: a7aa
  Additional Information 4: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d

I have exactly the same problem. Same OS and exactly the same errors
0 Kudos
MarkBaigent
New Contributor
I have exactly the same problem. Same OS, same software version.
ANy fixes somone
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
NathanCoon
New Contributor III
Have you tried this?
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/61829-ERROR-ArcGIS-is-currently-not-connected-to-online-resources?p...

None of that seemed to help for me. I'm getting the error box constantly and it won't go away. I'm assuming this is because I'm trying to run Explorer on the same desktop that I have ArcEditor installed on, so the connection error box just keeps popping up, even after choosing 'close this program'. very annoying and frustrating. this doesn't happen on machines with no esri product installed, just when there is an esri product installed then the connection thing keeps crashing.
0 Kudos
StevenPatterson
New Contributor
I see lots of people with this exact problem, and I have yet to find a fix. I notice that Windows 7 has to revert to basic color mode when I try to open ArcGIS Explorer, then I get the exact same APPCRASH message. I am thinking the issue is graphics related. Also, it was opening just fine until a recent windows update, not sure if that had anything to do with it.
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
The following suggestion should resolve the issue:

1.  Open Internet Explorer-> Tools->Internet Options->Connections-> LAN Settings and turn off "Automatically detect settings."

Other Suggestions
1. Navigate to Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs->Select ArcGIS Explorer for Desktop ->Uninstall/change->Repair.
2. Try to ensure that you have the most current display driver installed on your client machine. Open Control Panel > Device Manager. Expand Display Adapters. Right click the adapter below this > Properties. Go to the Driver tab > Update Driver > Search Automatically. If you can upgrade, then install the newer driver.
3. http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri_if/1186/10895 Use ArcGIS Explorer behind a firewall: http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/2500/en/firewall.htm

Regards,

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver
0 Kudos
StevenPatterson
New Contributor
Thanks Robert, suggestion #1 worked for me.

The following suggestion should resolve the issue:

1.  Open Internet Explorer-> Tools->Internet Options->Connections-> LAN Settings and turn off "Automatically detect settings."

Other Suggestions
1. Navigate to Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs->Select ArcGIS Explorer for Desktop ->Uninstall/change->Repair.
2. Try to ensure that you have the most current display driver installed on your client machine. Open Control Panel > Device Manager. Expand Display Adapters. Right click the adapter below this > Properties. Go to the Driver tab > Update Driver > Search Automatically. If you can upgrade, then install the newer driver.
3. http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri_if/1186/10895 Use ArcGIS Explorer behind a firewall: http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/2500/en/firewall.htm

Regards,

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You're welcome Steven - all the best!

0 Kudos
NathanCoon
New Contributor III
I just ended up deleting the ArcGISConnectionBin.exe file in the bin folder and it worked. Most likely Explorer's ArcGISConnectionBin was conflicting with ArcGIS Desktop's ArcGISConnectionBin.

As for the reverting to basic mode on Win 7, there are several threads on that. you have to add some code to the settings xml file. That's much less of an issue than a constant error screen popping up.
0 Kudos