Is it possible to publish a Spatial View in a Map Service with Feature Access enabled

Jump to solution
05-30-2013 11:39 AM
markcheyne
Occasional Contributor
We are using AGS 10.1 with Oracle 11g/ArcSDE, High Precision with the ESRI Binary spatial type.

1) I have a feature class and a table that are related in a spatial view created with the SDETABLE ArcSDE command. The related table in the SV provides attributes used for symbolization.

2) After the view was created, I 'registered it with the geodatabase' using the context menu in ArcCatalog.
3) Then I granted create, read, update, delete privileges, using the ArcCatalog 'Manage...' context menu, on the dataset containing the feature class, and to the spatial view itself, to the Oracle account by which I connect to Oracle in ArcMap to add the layer to my map document.
4) To be extra sure, I verified using TOAD that those privileges were granted to the feature class and spatial view.

But when I try to publish my map document as a map service with the  Feature Access  capability enabled, I get this Error in the Analyze step: Code 00163 "Enabled Feature Access capabilities (Create, Update, Delete) do not match feature layer user privileges (Feature Service)".

What secret sauce am I missing? Or is it not possible to publish a Spatial View with Feature Access?
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
markcheyne
Occasional Contributor
interesting. we got this working as follows:

1) use ArcMap to publish the service with the Feature Access capability enabled, but limited to the Query operation. That successfully publishes.
2) once published, use the ArcGIS Server Manager web app to change the Feature Access operations to include Create, Update, Delete.

It works!

So - bottom line, ArcMap may complain about things that will work without complaint when configured in the Server Manager.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
markcheyne
Occasional Contributor
interesting. we got this working as follows:

1) use ArcMap to publish the service with the Feature Access capability enabled, but limited to the Query operation. That successfully publishes.
2) once published, use the ArcGIS Server Manager web app to change the Feature Access operations to include Create, Update, Delete.

It works!

So - bottom line, ArcMap may complain about things that will work without complaint when configured in the Server Manager.
0 Kudos
BruceDodson
New Contributor II
It's actually a bug that your workaround worked. When you add capabilities after publishing, it doesn't go through all the same checks and balances that the Analyzer performs when you publish or update the service. Feature Access capability is not supported when working with views.

I encountered this when attempting to publish a Feature Layer with a Query Layer, which is also not supported. In my case, I added Feature Access capability after publishing the service, and all was well until I later tried to update the service. (I did not need Feature Access capability for that particular layer so I resolved it by putting it in a separate service.)

For completeness I should mention that in 10.2 you can use Feature Access Capability with Query Layers. However, this is only supported if the query layer is referencing a table and not a view. That has to do with being able to support editing on enterprise spatial data even if it is not registered with the geodatabase, e.g. as a migration path for users of SDS.

(Keep in mind also that "technically working" and "officially supported" are two different things - if you had a query layer referencing a view with INSTEAD OF triggers and a unique ID field, I'm not sure if the analyzer would know the difference. I have not tried it. However, there would be no guarantee that it wouldn't cause data corruption or that a future service pack or update won't break it; best avoided.)
0 Kudos