Trimble Positions for Desktop: how to trick it so I can re-check in

06-04-2013 08:02 PM
StephanieMorse
New Contributor
I checked in an AXF file and for some reason the post-prosessing didn't work so I deleted the data from the feature class is was just checked into because it wasn't post-processed. Now, I want to try the whole thing again and the data won't check in-I'm thinking because the software knows I already checked this in once already. Does anyone know how to trick the software into thinking it was never checked in? On a side note, has anyone seen that sometimes the base station data is not successfully downloaded from NOAA during the post-prossessing and when you try again later, it works?

I save the data that needs to be checked in to my desktop-I'm not pulling it in from the server.

I have found very little discussion online about this the Trimble Positions for Desktop software-is anyone aware of another forum?

Thanks!
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Stephanie,

Some great resources for Trimble Positions software are the Trimble Positions Blog, GeoMattix Blog and Electronic Data Solutions Training options for Trimble Positions for ArcPadhttp://www.elecdata.com/training/gps/introarcpadga.html/ArcGIS Mobilehttp://www.elecdata.com/training/gps/trimblepositions.html from Esri Partner, Electronic Data Solutions (EDS). GeoMattix has videos demonstrating how to perform a 'Fake Check-out for ArcPad and Trimble Positions' or alternative option is using 'The Backup AXF File' to undo all of the post-processing done to your ArcPad data (basically tricking ArcPad).

Good luck,
Denise
0 Kudos
kg76
by
Occasional Contributor
Stephanie,

What we do is make a backup copy of the axf before checking it in so that if there is a failure, you can delete whatever features checked in (if any) and then redo the check-in with the backup axf. I realize this already happened to you so this doesn't solve your immediate problem but something to think about going forward...

Also, it takes a few hours for the post-processing files to post online for NOAA. If you try to post-process your data before the files are available it will fail, but if you try it again after the files have been posted, it will work. I'm able to go into the ftp sites of the base stations I use and figure out more or less when my files will be available.

Kerry
0 Kudos
StevenRehbaum
New Contributor
The AXF can be modified in ArcPad Studio to allow you to re-check in the feature classes.  If you open the AXF in ArcPad Studio, you can select each feature class you want to be re-checked in (I don't think you can apply it to everything at once so you have to do each one).

Right click on each feature class and select "Show Data".  The attribute window will open.  Another window will open.  You will then type the following command for each feature class:

UPDATE "FEATURE CLASS" SET AXF_STATUS=1.  FEATURE CLASS is the name of your feature class (don't put it in quotes).  Repeat for as many feature classes as you need to re-check in.  I attached a couple of screen caps for the process.  HTH
0 Kudos