9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2013 5:42 AM by sjp.mckenzie@ulster.ac.u

Arcgis with PostGis and Postgre

hfabricio
      Hi,

is possible using arcgis with postgis? Reading and Editing shapefiles in  mult-user enviroment? I heard of a tool called zigg gis. In version 9.3 in toobox, there is a tool that supports data interoperability with PostGIS. She makes that connection? how to use it?

Fabricio Cecatto - Brasil
        • Re: Arcgis with PostGis and Postgre
          dlaw-esristaff
          Hi Fabricio,

ArcGIS can work with PostGIS data in one of two ways:

1. PostGIS can be used as a spatial data storage type in an enterprise ArcSDE geodatabase
          This capability has been available since the 9.3 release. If you have ArcGIS Server Enterprise, you can set-up an enterprise ArcSDE geodatabase and store your spatial data in the PostGIS spatial type format. All geodatabase functionality is supported.

Administering ArcSDE for PostgreSQL

Using the PostGIS geometry type

2. Read-only access of PostGIS data using query layers
          At ArcGIS 10, "query layer" functionality is available. Query layers enable ArcGIS Desktop to make SQL connections to databases that contain spatial types, such as PostGIS data in a PostgreSQL database. The database does NOT have to be a geodatabase. The data accessed can be displayed and used in analysis within ArcGIS, but cannot be edited.

What is a query layer?

Hope this helps,
            speedell
            Hi Fabricio,

1. PostGIS can be used as a spatial data storage type in an enterprise ArcSDE geodatabase
            This capability has been available since the 9.3 release. If you have ArcGIS Server Enterprise, you can set-up an enterprise ArcSDE geodatabase and store your spatial data in the PostGIS spatial type format. All geodatabase functionality is supported.

At ArcGIS 10, "query layer" functionality is available. Query layers enable ArcGIS Desktop to make SQL connections to databases that contain spatial types, such as PostGIS data in a PostgreSQL database. The database does NOT have to be a geodatabase. The data accessed can be displayed and used in analysis within ArcGIS, but cannot be edited.

What is a query layer?

Hope this helps,

Our aim is to have PostGIS as the back-end database in a hybrid architecture that will also include ArcGIS. We look forward to a) being able to give our users read-only access to geographic features in PostGIS from ArcMap, and b) being able to provide editing functionality using ArcSDE. However, until now, the sticking point has been that our PostGIS is running in a 64bit environment, so we are relying on this being supported in ArcGIS10, since earlier releases, including the beta, have been limited to 32 bit. We are looking forward to getting the ArcGIS10 release to test this.

Steve Peedell
              dovute
              Hi Fabricio,

What is a query layer?

Hope this helps,

Hi,
              I have postgis with postgresql, but the problem is when I add a query layer, I get an error stating the cross-recerence database is not implemented. What's wrong and what can I do?

Dovil�?
                zharistha
                Hi all,

I have same problem with query layer, I created event layer that connected from query layer from postgres db v 9.1.2 and publish to arcgis server java that run on linux RHEL 5. I have error message when i publish to ArcGIS Server, i think the problem is the ArcGIS Server cannot read the query layer. I try to open the mxd via mappatheditor, and it's crash. My postgres db also run on the same machine with arcgis server.

I see the related info at http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/TklNMDY2MjYw

regards,
                pratama
                  ktuszynska-esristaff
                  Pratama,
                  ArcGIS 10.1 does not support Postgres 9.1, we currently support Postgres 9.0.5, we recently moved from 9.0.2. Running the GDB creation gp tool against Postgres 9.1 will cause a crash.
                  The crash described in the NIM you sited, is for a different reason. It happens because the Path Editor is not shipped with the appropriate Postgres client libraries, you - the user can place the appropriate client libraries in the bin folder of the Path Editor.

Sincerely,
                  Kasia
                    ktuszynska-esristaff
                    Regarding Postgis,

ArcGIS 10.1 supports the available 64bit installations of PostGIS 1.5.3.
                    Postgis 64bit is only available on linux.

ArcGIS 10.0 supports the available 32bit installations of PostGIS 1.4, on both windows and linux and available 64bit installations on linux.

Sincerely,
                    Kasia
                      kencoc
                      We have tried the st-links spatialKit, it works with PostGIS /Postgres very well.
                        advk
                        I have a problem with ArcGIS 10.1 and PostgreSQL/PostGIS.

I connected to the database PostgreSQL without ArcSDE, but I could not open table  geometry in ArcMap.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]25398[/ATTACH]
                        If I add the data from ArcMap to the database PostgreSQL, everything works.

Geometry, table column names, data types,index is identical in both cases.

P.S. ST-Links SpatialKit doesn`t work too. It doesn`t opened even those tables that were added using ArcMap.
                        • PostgreSQL and query layers
                          sjp.mckenzie@ulster.ac.u
                          Dear all,

I am trying to create a connection to PostgreSQL through ArcGIS Desktop 10.1. Are there any clear instructions on how to get the connection working? I am unclear on how is meant by the "Instance" field. Each time I try to connect through ArcGIS Desktop I get an error message saying that I am unable to connect.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul