Installing ArcGIS Explorer 2500 on Windows 8.1  FIXED in 2505

07-19-2013 02:31 PM
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
The ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2500 setup.exe validator does not correctly validate Windows 8.1 Preview.  You can still install and use ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2500 on Windows 8.1 by doing the following:

run the installer, this will download and unpack the install files on your computer.  By default it will place the files in
%AppData%\Local\Temp\ArcGISExplorer\2500\Setup

In this folder you can run the AllUsers.msi or PerUser.msi to install the software.

-Mark
0 Kudos
22 Replies
KaushalMehta
New Contributor
The ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2500 setup.exe validator does not correctly validate Windows 8.1 Preview.  You can still install and use ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2500 on Windows 8.1 by doing the following:

run the installer, this will download and unpack the install files on your computer.  By default it will place the files in
%AppData%\Local\Temp\ArcGISExplorer\2500\Setup

In this folder you can run the AllUsers.msi or PerUser.msi to install the software.

-Mark

I think this works as charm and this is great help to me and people like me who had difficulties since a long time because of windows 8.1 update, now i am little less stressed and one more favor that do you put training or tutorial videos for ArcGIS 2500 on You tube?
0 Kudos
JohnNowlin
Occasional Contributor II
To those trying to install AGX on Win 8.1 (X64):

I have found that this installation procedure works, but after using AGX Build 2500 on a Win 8.1 (x64) PC for a while I have run into a problem. Initially I assumed everything was working fine, the program appeared to install and then locked up, but map opened after install and I closed the program restarted it and it seemed to work fine, so I closed AGX and moved on. Having tried to open the program and use it I now realize that things are not fine.

The border around the AGX window has begun to flash uncontrollably every few seconds; when it does this, if you also have a browser open, it causes the browser to act oddly. In the browser, if I have the cursor in the address bar or a form field, or have a pull-down menu open, at each flash it removes the cursor or closes the pull-down. The result is that you have to finish typing within the form field or finish selecting from a pull-down in the time between flashes or else you have to click on the field again and start typing again.
In other words, when the AGX screen flashes it steals the cursor from what ever element is active in the browser.

If anyone else runs into this please let everyone here know by commenting below. I had a support session with ESRI while this was happening and they witnessed it and the response I got from techsupport afterward was that Win 8.1 was not a supported operating system. Which I already knew.

My hope is that this will move up the date of the next AGX release.

AGX has become an important part of my organization's use of ArcGIS products and it is importatnt to us that this is resolved ASAP, as many new PCs are being delivered with Win 8.1 (x64).

Happy New Year to all AGX users,

John
0 Kudos
GregCzajko
New Contributor
Agreed.  Installation of AGX 2500 on Win 8.1(x64) worked fine and initial tests also worked fine.  However, the software hung after doing a "Find" using a custom Locator; this same locator works just fine when used with an AGX installation on Win 7(x64).

Discontinued use with Win8x installs.  We too now heavily rely on AGX within our organizations, in some cases the software has become 'bread and butter' for some staff.  A stable-full functioning Win 8x build is very much required, sooner than later would be best as always.

cheers,
Greg Czajko
King Township, Canada
0 Kudos
RandyMcGregor
New Contributor III
What does, "Run the installer" mean?

I've tried downloading and running the executable. No luck.

Thank you
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
Mr. McGregor:

When you download AGX 2500 you get an ArcGISExplorerDownload.exe file.  Right-click on this file and use either 7-Zip or WinZip to Extract the files you need to install this application (see attachement).  Mark's initial post will make sense after you have unpacked the exe file.
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
A new version ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2505 is available, that resolves this issue.

http://gisupdates.esri.com/ArcGISExplorer/Build2505/ArcGISExplorerDownload.exe

In addition to installing on Windows 8.1 there is a fix to correct the Zoom extent for custom geocode service results as well as a fix in 3D that allows measure result graphics and note to pin more precisely to the 3D surface.

At this time the Product download pages have not been updated, but they will be soon.

-Mark
0 Kudos
JohnNowlin
Thank you Mark, downloading it now. . . 🙂

My users thank you too.

Best Regards,
John Nowlin
0 Kudos
JohnNowlin
Mark,

This is feedback about 2505.

I downloaded it today and installed build 2505 over 2500 on Win 8.1, but it wouldn't open, the splash screen just sat there for 10 minutes until I ended the task in task manager. I got this same result when trying to open an existing .nmf file. I rebooted and tried again and I had the same issues. Then I uninstalled, reinstalled, and retried, and again the splash screen just sits there, then I rebooted and it opened. . . shew!!

Now it was working on My Dell Optiplex 3010 PC.

Then I installed it on my Dell XPS 12 tablet running win 8.1 and this time I uninstalled build 2500 and installed 2505 from fresh. It hung up after install like above so I rebooted, and then it worked when trying to open an existing .nmf file.

Now it was working on two machines.

Then I went to a Dell Inspiron, of a co-worker, runnning Win 8.1 and installed build 2505 and he had never had any version of AGX on that machine.  I had a similar experience with my tablet, except after the reboot it initially didn't work, and I tried to open the .nmf and it opened.

It installed fine on another PC with Win 7,

Just keeping you up-to-date I have it running on 4 machines now.

Best Regards,
John Nowlin
0 Kudos
JohnNowlin
I forgot to mention something. On the Dell Inspiron after installing AGX 2505, I have the same problem I used to experience when I hacked 2500 to work on Win 8.1 on my own tablet.

When AGX is open, the screen flashes, and you loose cursor control when that happens. If I have a pull-down menu active it closes, and if I am trying to move a window around on the screen it steals the selected window. That is on a co-worker's laptop and I am letting the program stay open to see if it is just caching in the background or something.

This is an issue you said you could not reproduce here (http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/79900-ArcGIS-Explorer-Desktop-and-future-Esri-support...) it is happening with 2505 on my co-worker's laptop, but not on my PC, or my tablet.

If it doesn't go away maybe we could do a TeamViewer support session. . . I have a maintenance contract.  .

Best Regards,
John Nowlin
0 Kudos