Adding .mdb files as a geo-database in ArcGIS Desktop Explorer build 2500

07-31-2013 10:52 AM
AlexHasen
New Contributor
Howdy,

I am trying to use the Geological Atlas of Texas in conjunction with the new ArcGIS Desktop Explorer build 2500. I found a download for it off of the Texas Natural Resource Information System website, and when I downloaded it, it came with an .mdb file to be used with ArcGIS 9.2. I was wondering if there was either a way to add the .mdb to Desktop Explorer, or an easy way to convert the .mdb to a .gdb file so that Desktop Explorer will recognize it.

Thanks,

Alex
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdamGuo
New Contributor II
Not sure if there is a direct tool that will convert it in one step but here's a two step process:
Start Arc Catalog
- Create a new File Geodatabase (.gdb)
- You can either right click on the (.mdb) to Export to Geodatabase (multiple)
0 Kudos
AlexHasen
New Contributor
All I have available is ArcGIS Explorer Desktop, is it possible to do it only with this or will I need to download something else?
0 Kudos
AdamGuo
New Contributor II
All I have available is ArcGIS Explorer Desktop, is it possible to do it only with this or will I need to download something else?

Unfortunately, it's not possible with only ArcGIS Explorer.

However, I noticed that you want to see the geology of TX. Have you tried using the "Search Window". Type in "Geology of Texas" it will return services that other's have created and you can add that into your ArcExplorer project.

Another route is to download a free subscription of ArcGIS for Desktop and convert the mdb to gdb if you don't have ArcGIS.
0 Kudos