Tool or Add-in that displays coordinates on map ala Google Maps

07-31-2013 05:31 PM
HarryBowman
New Contributor III
Users came to me with another "make it like Google" request. They click on the Google Maps map, right-click "What's Here" and get a green arrow. Then click the green arrow and they get what they want. A nice arrow and a popup with coordinates in both decimal degrees and DMS. Perfection! The only reason they are even asking for something else is that we'd like to add our own data on top.

As far as I can tell, AGS Explorer has no built in method to do this and I haven't seen a tool for it in the gallery. Anyone have a way to get this functionality, short of coding from the SDK?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdamGuo
New Contributor II
Users came to me with another "make it like Google" request. They click on the Google Maps map, right-click "What's Here" and get a green arrow. Then click the green arrow and they get what they want. A nice arrow and a popup with coordinates in both decimal degrees and DMS. Perfection! The only reason they are even asking for something else is that we'd like to add our own data on top.

As far as I can tell, AGS Explorer has no built in method to do this and I haven't seen a tool for it in the gallery. Anyone have a way to get this functionality, short of coding from the SDK?

Thanks.

Technically, the tool is already there.. If your user use the 'Point' tool and click on the map, it will create a new 'Note'. Right click on the 'Note'-> 'Properties' , lat lon are there. Granted, it's a bit of a hassle.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26362[/ATTACH]

Another route is you could create a geoprocessing tool that creates a point and with lat long as its attributes and load it into ArcGIS Server. Add the tool into ArcGIS Explorer.
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
Harry:

Have you discovered the Target Indicator in AGX?
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/2500//en/index.html#

Turn on the Target Indicator option and the user gets the Lat/Lon position reported live in whatever coordinates they choose (DD, DMS...).  Coordinates report the position of the white crosshair on the map.

See attached screen capture.
0 Kudos
EllenBryson1
New Contributor II

Well it's been a while since this question was asked, but here's another, perhaps easier way to get this. Use the built-in measure tool. Open the tool, click on the little globe icon. (The measure tool also measures along a line (ruler) and will allow you to trace a polygon.) Click on your map. The coordinates where you clicked will appear in the add in box.

The values that are returned are in the same units as you've set for your display. You'll get MGRS info if that's the coordinate system you have set for Display. If you wish to save the results, select Add to Map.

0 Kudos
HarryBowman
New Contributor III
Thanks, folks, for the suggestions. I have shown both the notes-with-coordinates and the target to the users.
Google has a callout without any hassle, so that's what they want. Guess it will have to be custom coded, which is a shame.

Bing has a no-hassle callout, too.

It'll have to be custom code, I guess.
0 Kudos