Cannot Open Map Package (.mpk) file

08-08-2013 06:57 AM
BarryKnittle
New Contributor
I am unable to 2 different mpk files and would greatly appreciate assistance. I attempted to attach one of them to this message but they are apparently too large.

I have been provided the 2 map package files by one of my company's clients. The client is not able to tell me anything about how the files were created.

I have ESRI ArcMap 10.0 Build 2414, License type ArcView. My apologies if I am posting to the wrong forum, I did my best to find the forum directed toward my particular version of ArcMap.

I am able to create map packages on my machine and can subsequently extract them. I am confident my software is configured correctly and functioning properly. I am stuck on these particular files.

thanks in advance for any advice/assistance.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AdamGuo
New Contributor II
it could be version dependent. I know mxd's are version dependent, maybe so are the mpks?

Sorry, I have no way to test the theory out.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//006600000403000000

there is a caution: Map Packages are supported from ArcGIS for Desktop version 10.0 onwards. Map packages will fail to open with older versions (9.3.1 or older).
0 Kudos
BarryKnittle
New Contributor
Thanks skippytbk,

I checked out your link. I do suspect a version problem. I ran across another link that talked about the format of the Map Package archives changing when service pack 1 came out. I don't think that I am entitled to that service pack as my support has expired.

Do you know of any service that would be able to take my map packages and resave them in an earlier version? My company would be willing to pay a nominal fee in order to get this done.

thanks again,

Barry

it could be version dependent. I know mxd's are version dependent, maybe so are the mpks?

Sorry, I have no way to test the theory out.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//006600000403000000

there is a caution: Map Packages are supported from ArcGIS for Desktop version 10.0 onwards. Map packages will fail to open with older versions (9.3.1 or older).
0 Kudos