Trying to improve my understanding of services....

Jump to solution
08-15-2013 05:33 AM
TimothieBiggs
New Contributor II
Firstly, can anyone explain to me in simple terms what is the difference between a Dynamic Map Service and a Feature Service, and how to decide which one to use?!

Secondly, is a dynamic map service "live" - i.e. if the underlying feature class is updated is it reflected in the service without further processing?

Finally, when I am publishing hosted services via 10 .1 I have these options:
a) Tiled Mapping
b) Feature Access
Does these correspond exactly as follows:
Tiled Mapping = cached map service
Feature Access = feature service

Thanks!
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Timothie,

Firstly, can anyone explain to me in simple terms what is the difference between a Dynamic Map Service and a Feature Service, and how to decide which one to use?!

A dynamic map service is a web service from ArcGIS for Server that retrieves data "on-the-fly" when a request is made to view/access the service. It is used for data display. A feature service is used by ArcGIS for Server to support and enable web editing workflows. Typically, you would publish a dynamic map service to display data and if you wanted web editing functionality for its content, you would also create a feature service which provides this capability.

Secondly, is a dynamic map service "live" - i.e. if the underlying feature class is updated is it reflected in the service without further processing?

Yes, this is correct.

a) Tiled Mapping
b) Feature Access

Yes, correct again.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Timothie,

A dynamic map service is a web service from ArcGIS for Server that retrieves data "on-the-fly" when a request is made to view/access the service. It is used for data display. A feature service is used by ArcGIS for Server to support and enable web editing workflows. Typically, you would publish a dynamic map service to display data and if you wanted web editing functionality for its content, you would also create a feature service which provides this capability.

Yes, this is correct.

a) Tiled Mapping
b) Feature Access

Yes, correct again.

Hope this helps,
TimothieBiggs
New Contributor II
One follow up question....

When I publish a service via desktop to ArcGIS Server in house, in the Service Editor dialog window, in the Caching section, immediatley under the heading 'Caching' I get these two options:

a) dynamic
b) tiles from a cache

Do dynamic services utilize caching? or if you choose dynamic am I saying I don't wanted my service to be cached?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Dynamic means not cached and you don't want to create tiles.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
TimothieBiggs
New Contributor II
Thanks Mike!
0 Kudos