1000 Feature Limit From ArcGIS Online -> Desktop

Jump to solution
08-27-2013 11:01 AM
JasonBalmut
Occasional Contributor III
With an organization subscription service we can publish feature services with more than 1000 objects to ArcGIS Online but when we pull that feature service into ArcMap desktop it reduces the layer to 1000 features.  Is there a reason for this?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JasonBalmut
To answer my own question, this is set in the Parameters section of the Service Editor.  By default the "Maximum number of records returned by the server" is set to 1000 which is not-so-coincidentally the limit for the number of features that can be loaded without a subscription account.

Well-played, Esri.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JasonBalmut
To answer my own question, this is set in the Parameters section of the Service Editor.  By default the "Maximum number of records returned by the server" is set to 1000 which is not-so-coincidentally the limit for the number of features that can be loaded without a subscription account.

Well-played, Esri.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes,  ArcMap displays the first 1000 features, but as you pan, it will make further requests for additional features, while caching the first set.  In ArcGIS.com, we make up to (I believe) 9 requests for features, because arcgis.com we divide the display area into a grid.

There are a couple of reasons to limit features returned to a client based on how feature services work. Feature services return the actual geometry of a feature to the client, so the client can draw it. So given 1000 polygons, each with 1000 vertices, the amount of data adds up. So we limit it to manage load against the server, but also to manage the amount of data being transferred across the wire to a client. Then, ultimately, the client has to draw the features. Web and mobile apps are much more limited in the number of features they can handle.

Hope this helps explain things.

Mike
0 Kudos
WoodyBailey1
New Contributor III
I understand the explanation for why this limit is set at 1000. However I question if the limit is causing unforeseen problems. When you open the table view for a service layer you only see the first 1000 features. The only way to see beyond this appears to be if you filter the list to selected. When I "Create local Copy for Editing" these features disappear. When viewed on the ArcGIS or Collector App on Android, again the features do not appear to be in the database. I spent a week with support trying to solve an issue with missing attachments after the local copy was made... perhaps this too is related to this limitation?
I have been out promoting this exciting new service but I am starting to get worried that it isn't ready for real world since I am getting clients calling VERY frustrated with seemingly LOST data. If anyone has any proposed work arounds or info for dealing with these limitations I would be very interested to hear. Thank you.
OliviaWattson
New Contributor
Well thanks for the useful suggestions.... KEep sharing information.
0 Kudos
MarkHotz
Occasional Contributor II

A very disappointing limitation.  I'm hoping that Portal for ArcGIS Server will resolve this issue as all of our data contains more than 1000 features.

0 Kudos