Update Domain

06-29-2010 07:18 AM
AmandaOShea
New Contributor
I am getting the following message:  Failed to update one of the domains.  Must be the owner to perform this operation.  I am logged in as the data owner.  I have also tried as the sde user and get the same message.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jaythyen
New Contributor
Has this been resolved? I'm receiving the same error (with ArcSDE 10). The only "fix" I could find was for ArcSDE 9.1 and older, and it fixes the owner column of the GDB_Domains table in SQL (which is not very helpful with the newer version).
0 Kudos
EyadHammad
New Contributor
i am facing the same problem. the data-owner is not being able to modify his domains, nor any other user can. please help
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I would double-check to make sure who the owner of the domain is.  Take a look at the following link for the correct query:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/help/arcgis_server_java_help/index.html#//0092000013v700...

Note:  The SQL Server query is for a repository owned by the DBO schema.  If your schema is owned by SDE, you will need to update the dbo owner to sde.  Ex:

--SQL Server
SELECT items.Name AS "Domain Name",
 items.Definition.value('(/*/Owner)[1]','nvarchar(max)') AS "Owner"
FROM sde.GDB_ITEMS AS items INNER JOIN sde.GDB_ITEMTYPES AS itemtypes
ON items.Type = itemtypes.UUID
WHERE itemtypes.Name IN ('Coded Value Domain', 'Range Domain')
0 Kudos
EyadHammad
New Contributor
thanks for the tip,

i was unable to configure SQL to run this query though i applied all the recommendations and settings provided in the help (http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/help/arcgis_server_java_help/index.html#/Configuring_the... ). it used to be an easy thing when needing to query the domain owner .. or other similar attributes ..
0 Kudos
baohuachu3
New Contributor III
I would double-check to make sure who the owner of the domain is.  Take a look at the following link for the correct query:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/help/arcgis_server_java_help/index.html#//0092000013v700...

Note:  The SQL Server query is for a repository owned by the DBO schema.  If your schema is owned by SDE, you will need to update the dbo owner to sde.  Ex:

--SQL Server
SELECT items.Name AS "Domain Name",
 items.Definition.value('(/*/Owner)[1]','nvarchar(max)') AS "Owner"
FROM sde.GDB_ITEMS AS items INNER JOIN sde.GDB_ITEMTYPES AS itemtypes
ON items.Type = itemtypes.UUID
WHERE itemtypes.Name IN ('Coded Value Domain', 'Range Domain')

After execute the sql above I found the domain's owner is "ADMAG001". This is one user of SqlServer.
The domains are created by import. All new created domain is "DBO". The new create domains can be updated and deleted.
Can we update the owner of domain  to "DBO" and then can update/delete the domains?
If yes ,the sql is as this :
update sde.GDB_ITEMS set items.Definition.value('(/*/Owner)[1]','nvarchar(max)') ='DBO'
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III
What if the owner has left the company?  Is there a way to change the owner of a domain?
TimDine
Occasional Contributor II
I'd like to update the owner of a domain using an update query in Oracle.  Does anyone have an update query for oracle which will change the Owner text node value for a given item name?
0 Kudos