Suggestions on Classification

09-12-2013 07:29 AM
Labels (1)
ChrisRobertson1
New Contributor
I am working with a interpolated bathymetry layer I created and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which classification type may be best. I am currently using an equal interval scheme but was wondering if anyone thinks jenks or another scheme may be better suited to more accuratley classify the depths.

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertMueller
New Contributor
We did some lake bathymetric mapping in grad school. Unless there are specific meaningful breakpoints in the data, I would avoid using anything other than the standard (equal interval) classification behind most bath maps; 0-5, 6-10, 11-15, etc., especially on public maps, the deviation from a "typical" classification will only confuse folks. Although I would make sure to include the limnetic/profundal breakpoint (or zone) in the classification (i.e. 0-5, 6, 7-10, 11-15) with explanation in the legend.

My two cents.

-Bob
0 Kudos
ChrisRobertson1
New Contributor
Good input I figured the equal interval probably made the most sense for the purpose of this map, especially cause thats the way most people are used to seeing values incremented. Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos