10.2 and VS 2012 - Wont Create SOE file

09-17-2013 06:45 AM
RafaelFerraro
New Contributor II
I am trying to create a Server Object Extension for use in ArcGIS Server 10.2 - with Visual Studio 2012.

The project builds/compiles without any errors or warnings, but no SOE file is produced.  I have tried targeting .NET frameworks 4.0 and 3.5 with same result -> no SOE file.

Any ideas?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
SimonUyttendaele
New Contributor III
A .soe file is simply a ZIP file containing the following items :

• Config.xml

• Install (directory containing : )

• *.dll

• *.pdb

If the Config.xml file is generated (and your dlls) then you can pack it yourself and upload it on ArcGIS Server.
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
have you tried MSBUILD /v:diagnostic (see for details http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ms164311.aspx) for check what's the problem?

if you run from dos vs : gacutil /l Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.9.0
do you see version 2.0.0.0?

why seems that GenerateServerAddInXml task could not be loaded because there is a dependency with Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.9.0 version 2.0.0.0

Extra info: in assemblyinfo, you try in addinpackage remove the Date attribute if you haven't English settings computer
0 Kudos
RafaelFerraro
New Contributor II
A .soe file is simply a ZIP file containing the following items :

• Config.xml

• Install (directory containing : )

• *.dll

• *.pdb

If the Config.xml file is generated (and your dlls) then you can pack it yourself and upload it on ArcGIS Server.

Thanks for the suggestion.  However, not even the config.xml is produced, so this won't work for my situation.
0 Kudos
JeffJacobson
Occasional Contributor III
This is due to a bug.

The way I resolved it was to ALSO install the SDK for Visual Studio 2010 (even though I only intended to use VS 2012).

Below is the response I got from Esri when I reported the issue. Since I had already found my own workaround, I have not tested their proposed workaround.

I found that there is a similar issue reported in our system as [#NIM093779  Problems with .NET SDK SOE templates at 10.2 in Visual Studio 2012 prevent the .soe file from being generated. ]

The cause of this bug and the issue you are having are the same.
The workaround would be :
Edit the project file *.csproj:
Near the bottom of the XML you will see an Import element. For both Project and Condition, update the path from Server.targets to Server.11.targets.
DerekNalder
New Contributor III

Just followed the steps in the workaround from #NIM093779  and it worked, didn't have to do anything else.

0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
I confirm that workaround is OK if you have only VS 2012 installed
However there is always the problem (index error) if you have settings Language not english: you must change o remove 'Date attribute'
0 Kudos