Older Add-In-Projects with VS 2012 and ArcGIS 10.2

10-09-2013 01:34 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Has anybody managed to build 10.1 add-ins with Visual Studio 2012 and ArcGIS 10.2 on the fly?
I did'nt. The error message tells: "Unable to create .esriAddin; missing ESRI Add-in SDK component(s)".

The current ArcObjects Help for .Net does not even mention any migrate requirements from moving from 10.1 to 10.2.

Ok, I could use the old 10.1 AddIns and the automatic assembly redirection which is defined in the ArcMap.exe.config. But I definitely want to build against the 10.2 assemblies using Visual Studio 2012.

The cause for the error: With the SDK for VS 2012 ESRI installs a MSBuild targets file with a different name as used with the SDK for VS 2010. They changed it from
"C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Esri\ESRI.ArcGIS.AddIns.targets"
to
"C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Esri\ESRI.ArcGIS.AddIns.11.targets".

In the VS Project file we can see:
<Warning Text="Unable to create .esriAddin; missing ESRI ArcGIS Add-in SDK component(s)." Condition="!Exists('$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\ESRI\ESRI.ArcGIS.AddIns.targets')" />
If we change this to the new file name, then everything works.

We have the following situation with add-ins:
Visual Studio 2010 and ArcGIS 10.1: ok
Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 2012 (on the same Computer) and ArcGIS 10.1: VS 2010 ok, VS 2012 no (all other ArcObjects projects work)
Visual Studio 2012 and ArcGIS 10.2 and changing the VS project file: ok

Why does ESRI maintain such dependencies?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III
I wasnt aware of ESRI upgrading Addins SDK for VS2012, only VS2010 at this time.
0 Kudos
RichardDaniels

Is ESRI supporting Vistual Studio 2013 with Add-ins? I'm receiving the same "unable to create .esriAddin; missing ESRI ArcGIS Add-in SDK components" message as reference here, buth I have VS 2013 and ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 (With the .Net SDK ) loaded.

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb

Obviously things have changed in 2.3 years since my above post.  VS2013 is supported with 10.3.

Check your VS settings with the template imports. there could be several reasons why you are receiving that error...

ref:

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/get-started/system-requirements/arcobjects-sdk-system-requ...

0 Kudos