Parcel Viewer template - how to configure

Jump to solution
10-11-2013 08:25 AM
LeeBrannon
New Contributor III
This process has begun easy enough.  I have downloaded the files for the new version of the local government parcel viewer template (http://www.arcgis.com/apps/Solutions/s2.html), copied them to my ArcGIS Server hosting folder, tested the web application using my server name/path in the url, and it works. 

But now that I want to do some of the Basic Configuration, I am confused as to how to do that w/out messing up the supplied code.  I read through the GettingStarted.md documentation but still not clear where and how to do it.  Do I need to use the ArcGIS Online configuration user interface to accomplish  this?  The part I do know is what items will be changed for my purposes.

Lee
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LeeBrannon
New Contributor III
Happy to oblige Ken, here goes.

First, downloaded the files for the template and unzipped them into a folder (any sub-folder you create will do) on our county's web server that houses our ArcGIS Server.

Application setup on the server is essentially done. Test in a web browser...just point to the s2.html file in your url (i.e., your server name and path you setup for the downloaded template files) when testing on the web.

To configure the application for your data, open the Readme.html file and use it as a guide.  You will only need to refer to a small portion of the Readme to do a basic configuration for your data.  First, under the Configure the application section of the Readme, perform the instructions at the first solid bullet point that starts with "Every saved map has a unique identifier."  This means that you'll have to have a map created and saved using the ArcGIS Online map viewer that has the map layers you want in your Parcel Viewer as well as the parcel layer to be used for the Search Tool.  Then get the map id as stated in the instructions.

I almost forgot...an important detail regarding the parcel layer in your map that will be used as the parcel search data, a direct connection to your parcel data map service does not work.  I had to create a feature service (this will be your search data in the application) from the parcel map service, then it worked.  Somewhere in the documentation or on an ArcGIS resources help link I saw something about this, but I cannot remember exactly.

Next, go to the Install the Web application section of the Readme and go straight to Step 3. which begins with "http://[server name]/[app name]/s2.html".  Follow these instructions to edit ParcelViewer.json, which is the important config file that you want to point to your map and data, and to edit js2\lgonlineStart.js...just one line in this file needs to be edited.  So only two files require being messed with in order to complete the basic config.  When you edit ParcelViewer.json, only the very top section under "values" is what you are interested in. 

Now test s2.html in a browser and you should see your data on the map.  The application will actually alert you if it has a problem accessing your search data (layer and attribute fields).

At this point you are done, kind of, but not really.  You'll find something that needs to be tweeked.

I hope this was informative and easy to follow.  Best of luck to all.

Lee

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LeeBrannon
New Contributor III
Figured it out!  The process was more confusing than I had anticipated and it took quite a bit of reading and re-reading of the various help docs/websites, etc...but i suppose, in retrospect, not too aggravating of a process.

If anyone happens to reply to this post with questions on how I did it, I'd be happy to explain.

Lee
0 Kudos
KenBurcham
Occasional Contributor
Hi Lee,

It would be great if you would explain what steps you needed to take that got you over the hump for posterity (and help improving documentation!).  Also once you post your answer, make sure to mark it as the answer (check the green check mark after you post it) for this question.  That way other folks searching the forums might find it later and you'll be helping them.

Awesome!

We customized the Tax Parcel Viewer template quite a bit and have been very happy with it, too.

ken.
0 Kudos
LeeBrannon
New Contributor III
Happy to oblige Ken, here goes.

First, downloaded the files for the template and unzipped them into a folder (any sub-folder you create will do) on our county's web server that houses our ArcGIS Server.

Application setup on the server is essentially done. Test in a web browser...just point to the s2.html file in your url (i.e., your server name and path you setup for the downloaded template files) when testing on the web.

To configure the application for your data, open the Readme.html file and use it as a guide.  You will only need to refer to a small portion of the Readme to do a basic configuration for your data.  First, under the Configure the application section of the Readme, perform the instructions at the first solid bullet point that starts with "Every saved map has a unique identifier."  This means that you'll have to have a map created and saved using the ArcGIS Online map viewer that has the map layers you want in your Parcel Viewer as well as the parcel layer to be used for the Search Tool.  Then get the map id as stated in the instructions.

I almost forgot...an important detail regarding the parcel layer in your map that will be used as the parcel search data, a direct connection to your parcel data map service does not work.  I had to create a feature service (this will be your search data in the application) from the parcel map service, then it worked.  Somewhere in the documentation or on an ArcGIS resources help link I saw something about this, but I cannot remember exactly.

Next, go to the Install the Web application section of the Readme and go straight to Step 3. which begins with "http://[server name]/[app name]/s2.html".  Follow these instructions to edit ParcelViewer.json, which is the important config file that you want to point to your map and data, and to edit js2\lgonlineStart.js...just one line in this file needs to be edited.  So only two files require being messed with in order to complete the basic config.  When you edit ParcelViewer.json, only the very top section under "values" is what you are interested in. 

Now test s2.html in a browser and you should see your data on the map.  The application will actually alert you if it has a problem accessing your search data (layer and attribute fields).

At this point you are done, kind of, but not really.  You'll find something that needs to be tweeked.

I hope this was informative and easy to follow.  Best of luck to all.

Lee
0 Kudos
BenAller
New Contributor III
I downloaded the Parcel Viewer template and can't seem to get it running as is. 

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=85ec8f162e654968a3740740075b34c6

It's residing on a test web server, and I'm pointing the browser to http://MyServerName/parcel_viewer/s2.html.  I'm just seeing the progress animation with a blank screen.  I made no customizations to the code yet.  Wondering if I missed something simple or if the out-of-the-box is not working?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben
0 Kudos
JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor
@ben.

i just downloaded the .zip, unzipped to C:\inetpub\wwwroot\parcel_viewer\ and opened http://localhost/parcel_viewer/ in the browser and the app opened without error.

do you see any errors in the console or network tab of your browser developer tools?
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
John and the original poster Lee:

The problem Ben was having is that the Windows 2003 Server server in not configured by default to support json MIME types.  Maybe the servers that you installed this app on already had the json MIME type configured, so it worked for you.  Once the json MIME type was added to IIS on that server, the 404 error went away and the web app worked as expected.

I don't believe this step is mentioned in any documentation.
0 Kudos
BenAller
New Contributor III
One of our folks figured out the problem.  We were missing json as a MIME type on our IIS server.
0 Kudos