Spatial analysis services and public users

10-14-2013 05:52 PM
AnnaWhipple
New Contributor
Sorry if this is a double post. I was having trouble with the forum posting.

I am not a developer, but I'm trying understand a little about the spatial analysis services in ArcGIS Online. According to the documentation, to use spatial analysis (like Summarize Nearby tool) in the ArcGIS.com viewer requires a named user within the Publisher role. If you are using the Spatial Analysis API to consume those AGOL services into a separate, custom website, can non-named (public) users without AGOL accounts use the spatial analysis tools within your site? If so, how does the service authentication to AGOL work? Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
NilsRydh
New Contributor
This is possible using the "App login", as described here:
https://developers.arcgis.com/en/authentication/app-logins.html

It requires some development to create an application that implements this functionality in a web application.
0 Kudos
WhereMatters
Occasional Contributor

Hi Nils,

Sorry to wake a three year old thread. I was having the same question and your response prompted me to look further.

It seems you "cannot" use app logins for spatial analysis services.

Please have a look at the capabilities table in this link ArcGIS Security and Authentication | ArcGIS for Developers under app logins. It clearly states app logins cannot be used with spatial analysis services.

capabilities.PNG

0 Kudos
PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor

For Spatial Analysis Services see here

Get started with the Spatial Analysis service—ArcGIS REST API: Spatial Analysis Service | ArcGIS for...

Licensing

In order to use the analysis tasks, the administrator of your organization needs to grant you certain privileges. To use any of the analysis tools, you will need the Spatial Analysis privilege. If the output of your task is a hosted feature service, as opposed to a feature collection, you also need the two following privileges:

• Create, update, and delete content
  • Publish hosted features

Certain tasks need additional privileges such as Network Analysis and GeoEnrichment. If the task requires additional privileges, they will be listed in the task documentation.

Also

App login can be used to access any of these services:

See Here

Implementing App Login | ArcGIS for Developers

0 Kudos
BatesRambow1
New Contributor II

Any reason why Spatial Analysis isn't available for App Login?  

PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor

Sorry I don't have an answer for this.

0 Kudos