Fill Tool Error 010429

Jump to solution
11-04-2013 09:08 AM
MathewSchmidtlein
New Contributor
I'm trying to fill a DEM.  I keep getting multiple Error 010429 messages.  I can't find great documentation on this problem.  I've tried running the tool on multiple input DEMs, saved in various locations, with outputs written to multiple formats.  The messages associated with the error varies, but includes things like "Error in GRID ID: CalcPackedBytes: invalid depth: -1," and "Error in GRID IO: S_VXfer: Read error".  It is often accompanied by Error 010244: Could not set the analysis window.

I can't find any documentation on these.  Has anyone else encountered these problems, and found a solution?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WilliamDeadman
New Contributor

I know that this is an old post, but I had this problem and was tearing my hair out having tried everything that I could find on Google and the usual forums. In the end I created a new map, dragged all of my layers across and everything worked perfectly - can't explain it, but if it prevents someone else wasting 90 minutes then thought I would post my 'solution' anyway.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
Two initial thoughts...

1. Make sure your processing extent covers the limits of the DEM you are filling. (Geoprocessin>Environments>Processing Extent)

2. If you have a large DEM, try putting it on your local machine and process it there as apposed to over a network.

0 Kudos
MathewSchmidtlein
New Contributor
Thanks, Mark.

I've already tried both of these.  I set both the processing extent and raster cell size to match the input raster in the Fill tool environment, and was already working locally.
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
I got nothing else.

Here's the ESRI explaination of that error:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00vq0000000z010429
0 Kudos
GarretDuffy
Occasional Contributor

FWIW, I fixed this problem by changing the Windows TMP environment variable from my C drive, which was low on space, to a large external (USB 3.0) hard drive with plenty of space.  ArcHydro then had sufficient space for the temp files and this fixed the error.  The second solution here helped me in deciding this course of action.

Note that I tried changing the location of temp files in Arc Advanced Settings Utility but this had no effect (the temp files were still being written to the C drive).

Changing the TMP environment variable and restarting the machine was the only way I could get Arc Hydro (AH) to redirect the temp files.  Note that you can check/confirm where AH is writing the temp files in the AH toolbar: ApUtilties > Additional Utilities > Clean User's Temp Folder.

Hope this helps,

Garret

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Glad you found a fix! All kinds of things can go wonky when your Windows drive is full. In fact back in the days of smaller hard drives, we would set the windows env variables TMP and TEMP to D:\TEMP (off the Windows system drive). So Garrett, I recommend cleaning up your C drive even now that you have archydro working!  Open windows explorer, type %TEMP% in the address window, and try to delete some stuff, especially with old modify dates. 

0 Kudos
WilliamDeadman
New Contributor

I know that this is an old post, but I had this problem and was tearing my hair out having tried everything that I could find on Google and the usual forums. In the end I created a new map, dragged all of my layers across and everything worked perfectly - can't explain it, but if it prevents someone else wasting 90 minutes then thought I would post my 'solution' anyway.

MarkBoucher

William,

Welcome to the ESRI-PYHO (Pulling Your Hair Out) club. I feel your pain.

Glad you got around the problem. Creating a new mxd has helped me several times.

Mark

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I"m thinking this had to do with raster environment Output Coordinate System. It's usually best to explicitly set to be the same as the raster data your are filling. Otherwise things project on the fly -- resampling as you process. This is likely will break or corrupt the fill tool.

BuffyConrad
New Contributor

Thank you. Just had the exact problem and this was the solution

0 Kudos