mobile  set up overlay Air SDK on the Flex SDK

Jump to solution
11-15-2013 09:17 AM
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor
I've been away from the Flex API for a while, but I need to learn how to create a mobile app, and this environment still seems to be the way to go. 

In the instructions for Mobile specific application https://developers.arcgis.com/en/flex/guide/tutorial-mobile-specific-application.htm it says that I need to overlay the updated Adobe AIR SDK on the FLEX SDK.  I've read all the instructions on the links that are offered and I still don't get it.   Where am I supposed to put the AIRSDK file that I downloaded?   I have Adobe Flash Builder 4.6, so the current SDK is located under C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.6\sdks\4.6.0

Do I still keep this folder and put the AIR sdk in the skds folder?  Replace the contents of the folder 4.6.0 with what I downloaded?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor
I think I realized what I did wrong.  I emptied the 4.6.0 folder first and then put the contents of the download in its place.  I went back and copy/pasted from the downloaded file, letting it overwrite as it wanted.  I'm not seeing the error anymore.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor
Thanks, but that doesn't help me at all.
0 Kudos
YueWu1
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Tracy,
I just did the test, you need to extract the contents of the AIR SDK archive and overwrite the existing SDK files.
Unzip the AIR SDK and overwrite your previous SDK fille, and that's why the documentation suggest to backup the original SDK folder.
0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor
I was leaning toward replacing the contents, because otherwise why might you want to make a copy first?

Here's what I did:

I went to the link http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/air-sdk-download.html and downloaded something that was called "Adobe AIR SDK & Compiler (version 3.9)"

That seemed to be the latest and greatest, it didn't seem like I should have to go into some archive to get an older file.  There is mention of something 'for Flex users', but I assume that is for people that are maybe developing in some other IDE?

I unzipped this and put the contents into my existing folder C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.6\sdks\4.6.0, replacing all the files that were in their originally.

When I got to the steps of creating a new Mobile project, I left this as my SDK, because didn't I just replace it's contents?  And I specified the SWC file for the 3.4 API from ESRI because it sounds like 3.5 is for AGS 10.1 and I'm still at 10.0.  I followed all the steps Next > Next > etc until I have a new empty project. 

At this point, even before I put any content into the mxml file, I'm getting an error:
Cannot resolve attribute 'firstView' for component type spark.components.Application. Researching a bit on this, it sounds like the problem is related to either not the right version of the SDK or something related to how I have it configured.

So I'm not getting very far!
0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor
I think I realized what I did wrong.  I emptied the 4.6.0 folder first and then put the contents of the download in its place.  I went back and copy/pasted from the downloaded file, letting it overwrite as it wanted.  I'm not seeing the error anymore.
0 Kudos
YueWu1
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Glad you make it works! Enjoy Friday!
0 Kudos