Restrict editing to authorized users while leaving the map viewable to the public

11-21-2013 04:43 AM
BrettGreenfield__DNR_
Occasional Contributor II
I've created a service that will be made available to the public which expects to see fairly regular updates.  Unfortunately, now that I've created the dataset it's leaving my hands, and the group that plans on making the updates doesn't have anyone with ArcMap on their computer, thus any updates would have to go through an ArcGIS Online map.  I know I can configure a service to allow editing, but my concern is that ANYONE (with the know-how) could also edit the service and make unwanted changes.  I also know I can allow access only to a private group, but then the public can't view the service.

Is there a way to limit the editing capabilities to certain people, while keeping the service viewable to the public?  I was thinking there might be a way to create a separate version of the service with editing capabilities, open it to a private group, and synch the public version of the service to the private version, but I'm not sure if that's possible.
Tags (2)
47 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Updated November 7, 2017

The way to do this is to create a hosted feature layer view. Learn more about hosted feature layer views here...Create hosted feature layer views—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-------------------------

Original post

There are several options:

• You can disable editing on the layer inside the web map. This will remove the Edit menu. However, a savvy user could enable it in the web map and still edit it.
    • You can embed the map in a web page or create a web mapping application. The user won't be able to enable editing here, but if the features are still public, they can be edited.
    • Disable editing on the feature layer itself. This will prevent editing at all. When you want to update the data, unshare it and enable editing. This means while updating, the map will not be available.
    • Administrators have the ability to open a feature layer with full editing capabilities. This could be a way to update the features while still keeping the layer publicly available. However, your editors would then need to have the role of administrator.
    • Published a tiled layer from the feature layer. The tiled layer would need to be updated whenever the features are updated. This can get costly and time consuming to recreate tiles.

Hope this helps,

Mike

ElizabethMiller
New Contributor III
Thank you for the thread -- I am having the same issue. In my case, I have created a small group of 2 or 3 editors who will be making edits to the feature layer in the field using Connector for ArcGIS on tablet devices, adding photos as attachments.

It would be great to be able to have a public version of my ArcGIS Online map where the data is viewable but not editable, with different popup configurations.

But apparently the feature layer can't be accessed by one small group with editing privileges while being publically viewable but locked down.

If anyone has found a way around this problem, I would also like to know about it.
ElizabethMiller
New Contributor III
Does anyone have any new insights on this problem?

Any comments from ESRI staff?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
TracyGarrison
New Contributor III
ArcGIS Online for Organizations for us has been of very limited use.  Almost every application I try to make public utilizes public hosted services that I want users within my organization to edit not the public.  This seems just plain obvious!  Until ArcGIS Online can allow only users within a group to edit a public "hosted service" this is just a BETA application!
LeoDonahue
Occasional Contributor III
What about creating different groups, add users to groups and only share the content with users of those groups?

You could have an editor group and create editable maps targeted for users that belong to that group and share the map with that specific group.

You could have a viewer group and create non-editable maps targeted for users that belong to that group and share the map with that specific group.

..etc.

You would have to make several maps with editing enabled on some and disabled on others.

I can't help with with the other issues of savvy users enabling web editing in a map, but I though that would be limited to the person who owns the content?
0 Kudos
DevinBartley
New Contributor II
I have the same issue. I created a map for the public, but I want a group of staff only to update the map on a regular basis.
The previous option of "unsharing", editing the feature, then sharing again is a bit cumbersome for a non-GIS user. It would be nice to have a simpler workflow in place to facilitate an editing process within an organization.

Patricia
ShawnKraft
New Contributor III
So, let me see if I get this.  If I enable sharing for everyone on a web map with a layer that has editing enabled...then anyone in the world can edit it?
0 Kudos
DevinBartley
New Contributor II
That is my understanding, and not what was I was expecting.
0 Kudos