How to serve a story map without using ArcGIS Online? ie everyting on internal server

Jump to solution
12-02-2013 03:33 PM
AaronWoods
New Contributor III
Aloha,
I have been able to create a simple Map Tour Story Map (Using the Story telling map tour template), however it is using a Map Service through my organization ArcGIS online account.  How do I generate and reference a "local copy" of the Map Service that will not ask for an ArcGIS Online account log in, for people wanting to view the Map Tour?
Rather than reference a "webmap" or "appid" in the index.html, do I use  URL parameters?
Any guidance or tips is greatly appreciated.
Mahalo,
Aaron
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor
Hi Jonathan

You don't need a special or dedicated server to host a story map. If you download and self-host one of the story map application templates, you can simply put the source files into a folder in the file structure of any existing website or web server you have access to, whether it is one that your agency maintains directly or whether it is deployed using a third party hosting service like iPage. The  web map(s) that your story map accesses are normally hosted in Esri's ArcGIS Online cloud, so there's no load on your own server (unless of course your web map contains layers pointing at services you are yourself serving up using your own installation of ArcGIS for Server, or unless you are using Portal For ArcGIS to manage your own private ArcGIS cloud).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

To make a Map Tour public, all the components of your Map Tour need to be shared publicly. So you have to make sure that your MapService, webmap, web mapping application and any other service you may have added to the webmap are shared publicly. For that use  SHARE

To use data embedded in the application you deploy, you have to use a CSV. You can export your data ...

. Then you have to make the CSV accessible on a public URL and add the reference to [URL="http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgisonline/index.html#//010q0000009z000000#ESRI_SECTION1_1B6E7..."]the webmap (and remove or set your old layer to not visible). Otherwise if you want to duplicate your Feature Service you can do so using the CREATE SERVICE function.

To use web application or webmap url parameters, you need to specify the username of the application owner in index.html (let the webmap and appid properties empty. Then user ?webmap= or ?appid=.

configOptions = {
 webmap: "",
 appid: "",
 // Optional list of authorized application or web map owners
 // Has to be specified when using appid or webmap url parameters (e.g. ["user1"], ["user1", "user2"])
 authorizedOwners: [""],
};
0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III
Aaron,

I didn't really pay attention to the title of your post.

All Story Maps template rely on web maps and so require ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS.
As I said you can use a local data source (CSV deployed with the app) or also a Feature Service behind your firewall with a public web map.

It is possible and not so complex to modify the source code to get rid of the web map requirements but we don't support it.
0 Kudos
jonathanrobinson
New Contributor III
Hello Aaron, we are interested in hosting a story map as well and would like to know the web server specs (RAM, CPU) used by your organization.

Jonathan Robinson
GIS Coordinator
City of Pasadena

(626) 744-6682
Fax (626) 396-7488
jrobinson@cityofpasadena.net

Department of Information Technology
100 N. Garfield Ave Room N123
Pasadena, CA 91109
0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor
Hi Jonathan

You don't need a special or dedicated server to host a story map. If you download and self-host one of the story map application templates, you can simply put the source files into a folder in the file structure of any existing website or web server you have access to, whether it is one that your agency maintains directly or whether it is deployed using a third party hosting service like iPage. The  web map(s) that your story map accesses are normally hosted in Esri's ArcGIS Online cloud, so there's no load on your own server (unless of course your web map contains layers pointing at services you are yourself serving up using your own installation of ArcGIS for Server, or unless you are using Portal For ArcGIS to manage your own private ArcGIS cloud).
deleted-user-FfGbgR253rTy
New Contributor III

Hypothetically it might be possible to create a storymap with REST services hosted on your server, make the app "public", but control access through the REST service. Then download the app, and host it on your web server. 

I'm not sure if this will work or not, but I have a similar need (i.e. don't want full open access, but don't want access limited by named users in ArcGIS Online). If I can get it working I'll post back here/

0 Kudos