Strange Label Behavior in Cache

12-13-2013 05:23 AM
WilliamKimrey
New Contributor II
Hello all,  I'm having a wierd thing happen with my labels in my map service cache.

In my .mxd I have addresses labed with their number (123 Main Street gets labeled as "123").  This is fine when I look at the map, but when I published the map as a service, the labels added a bunch of trailing zeros.  So, "123" became "123.000000".  I don't see this in the map, just in the service, but I didn't catch this before I created a cache from the service, so the cache has this as well.

Now, I did figure out what caused this.  The attribute used in the label had no format set, so I guess it defaulted to "Numeric" with 6 decimal points.  I changed the format to specifically use the "Numeric" format, but with 0 decimal points.  This solved the issue with the labels, but ONLY when I use the mxd to create a new map service.  The EXISTING map service and cache still have the incorrect format.

I have deleted/recreated the existing cache, restarted the service, everything I can think of to update my existing service/cache, but it seems that none of my changes are propogating through.  What am I missing here?  I don't want to have to delete and recreate a service every time I need to make a change to the mxd.  If I did that, I'd never have time to do anything else.

Thanks,
Will
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Which version of ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Desktop are you using?  It's always helpful to provide the software versions when you post an issue in the forums.  Anyways, it sounds like you're using cached tiles for your service and that the tiles don't show the right result that you're hoping for despite the fact that your map document does. 

If using 10.0, are you publishing from an MSD or an MXD?  If MSD, are you positive that you've replaced your MSD with your modified MXD before republishing the service and re-caching?  For 10.1 and 10.2, I believe the software're publishing mechanism forces you to re-save the SD before republishing anyways. 

That being said, if you are using ArcGIS Server 10.0, have you tried clearing the REST cache by chance?  This can be done using the http://hostname/ArcGIS/rest/admin URL along with an administrator account. 

For 10.1 and 10.2, the REST cache is supposed to be managed/cleared automatically by the application.  I'm not sure how well that works though.  If you're using 10.1 or 10.2, can you try clearing the cache manually using a URL similar to this one: http://<admin-url>/system/handlers/rest/cache/clear ?  I don't think you should have to do this, but it might be a quick and painless first attempt at addressing the issue.
0 Kudos
WilliamKimrey
New Contributor II
Yeah, you're right, I should have mentioned which version I was using.  Sorry about that.

Anyway, I'm using 10.2 Desktop and Server.  We just started using it in the last couple of weeks when we upgraded from 10.0.

That being said, the issue that I'm dealing with is a bit more complicated than I thought.

First, the labeling issue has been solved.  The format on the attribute being labeled had not been set correctly.  It is not set correctly and any new map documents I publish have the correct labeling.  The strange part comes in the fact that the EXISTING map service is not being updated.  No matter how much I try, the existing map service is not being overwritten.  When I try to overwrite the map service, it creates a new one with a datestring appened to the end of the name.

I've contacted support about this and talked with a tech who should be getting back to me soon.  Hopefully i'll have some good news soon.
0 Kudos